First 20" and 24" Android tablets

February 17th, 2015 at 8:28:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

As you can see the first 20"=$450 and 24"=$550 Android tablets are being marketed primarily to families. They seem cheaper than the equivalent size Windows tablets . Generally they are cheaper than the Windows tablets (Dell charges $450 for 10.8" model).

It looks like viewing movies on telephones has finally taken the wind out of the critical sales of theater tickets to teenagers. They can still get out of the watchful eye of their parents and watch a movie (at mall, at subway, or even in a parked car), but for a lot less money.

This 13" tablet is under $200 at Walmart and Best Buy

The two big PG-13 movies this year (Guardians of Galaxy, and Mockinjay Part I) sold the fewest tickets for the #1 PG or PG-13 movie since 1991 when the R rated Terminator 2 was the biggest boxoffice hit of the year. When American Sniper becomes the #1 film for 2014 (in less than 2 weeks) it will be the first R rated #1 film since Saving Private Ryan in 1998.

So total theater ticket sales have dropped to 1989 levels. Do you want to bet they drop a few more percentage points to 1983-84 levels?

2014 1,268.0 million
1989 1,262.8 million (Batman biggest film)
1984 1,199.0 million (Beverly Hills Cop)
1983 1,197.0 million (Return of the Jedi)
February 17th, 2015 at 4:24:26 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'd be curious about brands. Any Android is not necessarily an Android. That is, a generic tablet is not necessarily a good slate to carry around or use. When I was looking for a tablet I could get a number of unknown brands for $100 or even less, but go figure how they ran.

Even good quality is no guarantee. My 2012 Nexus 7 ran very well with Jellybean, less well but well enough with Kit Kat, and horribly slow many times with frequent freezings with Lollipop. I'll wait for a fix with an update, I hear 5.1 is about to come out, but if the thing isn't fixed by April I may just reset it to Jellybean (I miss the blue icons anyway).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 18th, 2015 at 6:44:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Any Android is not necessarily an Android.

I am not quite sure what you mean by this statement, but I have read that manufacturers have made various modifications so that there are tens, if not hundreds, of variants of Android on different phone handsets.
February 18th, 2015 at 7:25:32 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I am not quite sure what you mean by this statement,

Well, if you get an iphone you know exactly what you're getting. Android devices are more of a toss-up. The quality and power of the hardware varies wildly. So just saying "Android" isn't very descriptive.

Quote:
but I have read that manufacturers have made various modifications so that there are tens, if not hundreds, of variants of Android on different phone handsets.

And tablets. but, yeah, or phones there are mods by the manufacturer and then by the carrier. It's called fragmentation. Then you have people who jailbreak their devices and do further modifications.

Some minor apps from smaller developers will run only on selected devices rather than all types of android phones.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER