Age 51

March 7th, 2015 at 7:44:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: internet stuff

Karan Diwan is a 51 year old TV health guru advocating a holistic approach to nutrition and health, promoting exercise, a vegetarian diet of organic fruits and vegetables. She recommends detox diets, colonic irrigation and supplements, also states that yeast is harmful, that the colour of food is nutritionally significant, and the utility of lingual and faecal examination.

Nigella Lawson is a 50 year old TV cook in Great Britain , who eats nothing but meat, butter and desserts.

I rest my case..

Gillian McKeith is the correct name (not Karan Diwan). Both women are now age 55.

Quote: internet rant

In both cases, it’s insinuated that attractiveness is a) the most important feature of women (above health), and b) a valid marker of someone’s overall health. They also assume that we should all be measured along the same standards of beauty (god forbid anyone actually find McKeith attractive because she doesn’t have huge breasts or the facial features that have been idealized on film and tv), and they gloss over the fact that genetics play a big role in aging and attractiveness. Sound familiar? This isn’t a far cry from the ridiculous weight and beauty standards promoted by advertising; both are aimed at whittling down a woman’s worth and making her feel that her looks are more important than anything else.

My rant

Every now and then one of these bits of internet gobbley de gook gets a very stern treatment by the deeply offended. The original post is usually something juvenile (as in this case). The original joke is dumb, and yelling about it is even dumber.
March 7th, 2015 at 10:22:58 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Youth and beauty, oddball theories,,,, proof by one photo...

I think in general humans do favor youth. Beauty is often related to health. Gleaming eyes and vitamin C levels can be attractive, symmetric faces, but then there are the Ubanga or whatever who place plates to extend the neck and lips. I think only the men like it, I'm not sure.

Meat butter and desserts .... does shows on food and sex.

Character and personality, sense of adventure, willingness to explore the unknown, a pleasant personality in the face of adversity, these things can be real important. A girl who crawls out of a sleeping bag on a cold wet morning and cheerfully makes coffee and eggs for everyone is a real gem, but it also helps if she is gorgeous to boot. A girl who scrapes paint while composing haiku can be beautiful even her poetry skills are a bit lacking.

Sometimes one wonders about Madison Avenue's value system and sometimes one simply has better things to do with their time than pay attention to such things.