License Plate Numbering

March 11th, 2015 at 10:52:56 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
In California, the sequential auto plates start with a single number followed by three letters, then three numbers. I noticed that plates with the first number of 8 are on the road. What happens when all the combinations that start with 9 are distributed in a few years? Will they recycle the old numbers like they do with social security numbers? Maybe they move to numbers for the first two characters, but there will be conflicts with custom plates. What would you recommend if the governor asked for your input?
March 12th, 2015 at 4:45:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
In California, the sequential auto plates start with a single number followed by three letters, then three numbers. I noticed that plates with the first number of 8 are on the road. What happens when all the combinations that start with 9 are distributed in a few years? Will they recycle the old numbers like they do with social security numbers? Maybe they move to numbers for the first two characters, but there will be conflicts with custom plates. What would you recommend if the governor asked for your input?

First thing first. They have not yet recycled SS numbers, plenty left from what I hear.

Easiest thing to do is start with a letter, gives 26 more combos. 25 if the do not use "O."
The President is a fink.
March 12th, 2015 at 8:43:47 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
That is a question I should know the answer to, and don't. The second biggest annual license plate gathering is happening in Vegas later this month and I'm sure I can get an answer there. Meanwhile, I think they will go to one of the following formats:

AB12CDF
AB123CD
ABC123D

Personally, I like the second configuration the best.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber