3 votes (60%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (40%)

5 members have voted

March 13th, 2015 at 4:00:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
As much I find the chant by SAE repugnant, I have to respect their First Amendment right. What I don't understand about this whole situation is what gives the University of Oklahoma the right to not only shut down the fraternity but board up the building.

What little I know about fraternity college relations I learned from Animal House (i.e. Double Secret Probation). Also, when I was at UCSB, if memory serves me right, a fraternity lost their charter. So they took the letters off the building, but the same people continued to live there, go to school, and by my account still continued to have keg parties all the time.

So, I ask the former Greek members of the board, and anybody else well versed in fraternity/university relations to enlighten me.

The question for the poll is what do you think should have happened after the release of the video? Options 1-4 are too long to fit in the allowed space so I'm putting them here:

Option 1: Shut down the chapter, board up the building, kick every member out of OU.
Option 2: Shut down the chapter, board up the building, members may stay in OU.
Option 3: Shut down the chapter, leave the building open, kick every member out of OU.
Option 4: Make them remove the letters from the building, but former members may still live there and take classes.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 13th, 2015 at 4:20:55 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
As much I find the chant by SAE repugnant, I have to respect their First Amendment right.
I've heard of an incident but not seen a textual rendition or heard a recording of the chant, only heard it termed 'racist' but that covers a heck of a lot of territory including most whites, most blacks and ALL Japanese.

Nowadays it seems You Have The Right To Be Politically Correct According to the Whims of the Madding Crowd.

ON EDIT: I just youtubed it.

Shall we all now sing the second verse to Oh Suzanna as actually written?

Anyone here been a bar with Ibris as its name on Game Day? Even young girls proudly yell out "F... the Pope and Vatican".

Anyone play the melody from The Sloop John B outside a Catholic Church during an Apprentice Boys March? Or in an Irish bar?

Anyone sing the actual lyrics of The Famine Song in such a situation?

Anyone sing Armored Cars, Tanks and Guns in an Irish bar? Or Go On Home British Soldiers?
March 13th, 2015 at 4:33:43 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Fleastiff
I've heard of an incident but not seen a textual rendition or heard a recording of the chant, only heard it termed 'racist' but that covers a heck of a lot of territory including most whites, most blacks and ALL Japanese.

Here is the video.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 13th, 2015 at 5:18:51 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I voted would like more info.
Oklahoma is not a private school, its a public University so they have less power regarding a decision.
Some frats are off campus, some are on campus.
Off campus fraternity housing is generally owned by the chapters head quarters or governing body.
On campus fraternity housing I am under the assumption is owned by the school.

This looks to be school owned housing so the school has a lot to say in who lives there and what activities take place. School has power.
On the flip side, its a public school so less power

I think behind the scenes big money college football/Basketball is having a huge impact on what is being done in this situation. I believe this was the cause for the rush to judgment.
I think the true honest reaction behind closed doors is OMG, this is going to kill our sports recruiting
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 13th, 2015 at 5:46:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The free speech is a call for active discrimination against having black members.

Would it lend more weight against the university if some past students decided to lawyer up for discrimination claiming the fraternity discriminated against them?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?