Darwin Awards

Page 3 of 5<12345>
July 15th, 2017 at 3:36:42 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Ah! I've fallen victim to fake news. Maybe Fox will hire me.

There were some graphic videos of people trying to resuscitate a woman - they claimed it was the woman who died. I don't know if they were legit.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 15th, 2017 at 5:05:21 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Did AMS post that as recent?

A number of people on youtube recycles the video and said it was from the recent death. AMS just didn't recognize it as old.

I don't think youtube is going to post a video of someone dying. It sets a terrible precedent.
July 16th, 2017 at 6:06:31 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Pacomartin
A number of people on youtube recycles the video and said it was from the recent death. AMS just didn't recognize it as old.

I don't think youtube is going to post a video of someone dying. It sets a terrible precedent.
That's right. There's probably a website for such things. Youdead or something
January 29th, 2018 at 1:31:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Would this qualify. A man in India
was killed yesterday because he
entered the MRI room wearing
a steel oxygen tank and was sucked
violently into the MRI machine.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 29th, 2018 at 1:39:51 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

Periodically I have to put someone to sleep for an MRI exam. I cannot tell you how many reminders there are for both the patients and staff about what you can take in and what you cannot. MRI machine areas have ports for oxygen for patients that need it that are metal free in the MRI room itself. Whoever he MRI tech was that day is in a tad of trouble........
January 29th, 2018 at 1:45:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: SOOPOO
Whoever the MRI tech was that day is in a tad of trouble........

Yup, the fam is already suing the hospital
for gross neglect. He must have flown
across the room at high speed for the
impact to have killed him. Would be funny
if it wasn't tragic.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 29th, 2018 at 3:16:55 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
These things have happened before and I wonder why there is no active device that will sound an alarm in time and shut down the MRI's powerful magnet. Some sort of weak magnet on a pendulum. If the pendulum suddenly swings, there is metal nearby and an alarm should go off as a barrier gate closes off access whenever the MRI is about to be started.
January 29th, 2018 at 5:38:03 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6

Yeah, I would think that would qualify, sort of. Who knows if he had ever had one or knew how it worked. So his ignorance might not qualify as stupidity. But if he knew what it was, he was fatally stupid.

Since it seems more like careless inattention by whatever med techs were there, and they didn't get killed, seems more likely negligence.

The one last year IMO was a premium Darwin Award example. Some idiot in Minnesota wanted to video himself doing a stunt that would go viral. So he held a thick book up to his chest and had his girlfriend shoot it to prove the book would stop a bullet. She did it reluctantly, and of course the bullet went through and killed him, much to her shocked surprise.

Double Darwin, that level of stupidity. Unfortunately, however, it didn't qualify, because she was pregnant with his child at the time. So both their stupid genes live on, reinforced.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/06/29/he-thought-a-book-would-stop-a-bullet-and-make-him-a-youtube-star-now-hes-dead/

Back to the MRI machine.

Seems like a simple fix to add metal detecting wands to the pre-MRI medical routine. If nothing else, it would remind the techs to unbuckle the O2 and leave it outside. The wands aren't even that expensive.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 29th, 2018 at 5:47:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: beachbumbabs
She did it reluctantly, and of course the bullet went through and killed him, much to her shocked surprise..

People are really stupid where guns
are concerned. Any experienced
mugger will tell you that you get
better results robbing with a big
knife than with a gun. We have a
genetic terror of knives and getting
cut, and not so much with guns.
They make a little hole, big deal.
A knife can scar your face for life,
let alone kill you.
January 29th, 2018 at 5:54:11 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
People are really stupid where guns
are concerned. Any experienced
mugger will tell you that you get
better results robbing with a big
knife than with a gun. We have a
genetic terror of knives and getting
cut, and not so much with guns.
They make a little hole, big deal.
A knife can scar your face for life,
let alone kill you.

A .50 caliber Desert Eagle doesn't make a small hole. From a foot away, I wonder if there was enough left to bury.

But yeah, I have beyond a healthy respect for knives, too, probably into fear a bit. I have a couple of knife scars from mishandling carpet knives.

Other people will dump a knife into soapy water to soak it, then reach in blindly. I can't make myself do that, and I don't know how they can. Other people will cut things into their palm, knowing they won't cut too deep. I refuse to do that as well.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
Page 3 of 5<12345>