Unnecessary business trips...

Page 2 of 2<12
March 7th, 2015 at 10:21:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Going to Houston and returning two years ago via Aeromexico, I drew an Embraer. I think that's a regional Jet. I forget the model, but it's the one with 4 across seating (2 and 2) which looks like a shrunken B-737.

Aeromexico flies Embraer models with 50, 76, 88, and 100 passengers with the last one having 12 upper class seats. Traditionally they were all called regional jets, but the newest models will be as large as the older 737's from only a few years ago. So the fine line between regional jets and narrow body jets is blurring.

In the USA major airlines there is a clear distinction of 76 passengers which is the pilot's labor contract with the airlines. Above 76 passengers they cannot give the contract to a feeder express airline.

Aeroméxico only flies Embraers from San Antonio to Mexico City and Monterrey while the airlines fly full size jets to San Antonio from
* Interjet ; Guadalajara, Mexico City, Monterrey, Toluca
* VivaAerobus ; Monterrey
* Volaris ; Guadalajara

=================
In general there was a 43% rise in number of passengers at Mexico City Airport in the past 8 years, with the nations air traffic increasing by a similar 41% over the same time period. So efforts to spread traffic to other hubs is only maintaining status quo.

Tijuana now has a flight to Oakland (in San Francisco area) on Volaris. Although attempts have been made in the past to open up routes from TIJ to LAX, they have never lasted. It is even possible that once the bridge is built that some residents of San Diego county will cross the bridge in search of cheaper flights to US cities.

Right now AeroMexico is not talking about putting flights to Paris or Madrid from TIJ (in the hope of capturing some San Diego County residents), but they will undoubtedly begin marketing the existing flight to Shanghai. There are already non-stops to London and Tokyo from San Diego airport.
Page 2 of 2<12