$9 six-pack

Page 1 of 41234>
November 18th, 2012 at 6:31:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Yesterday I paid $8.95 for a six-pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager. Under duress of circumstances of course, but it was a large grocery store with a reputation for reasonable prices.

I like this beer but do not view it as worthy of this price. I thought maybe some nut had got loose with the prices at this store, but later found my buddies were also noting the price of a half-way decent beer had sky-rocketed other places. I'd say none of us were Bud-Miller types, but that stuff has probably also gone up.

This was Virginia. How about other areas of the country?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 18th, 2012 at 6:34:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
Yesterday I paid $8.95 for a six-pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager. Under duress of circumstances of course, but it was a large grocery store with a reputation for reasonable prices.

I like this beer but do not view it as worthy of this price. I thought maybe some nut had got loose with the prices at this store, but later found my buddies were also noting the price of a half-way decent beer had sky-rocketed other places. I'd say none of us were Bud-Miller types, but that stuff has probably also gone up.

This was Virginia. How about other areas of the country?

Next to impossible to buy a six-pack here, only way is take-out at a bar. Food inflation has been with us the past few years, expect it to continue. It has been "hidden" as the Feds changed how they calculate inflation, but it is there. Usually people notice when they buy 1-2 items alone or first time in some time and have a "WHOA" moment.

You can't print $500MMM+ a year and expect there to be no consequences.
The President is a fink.
November 18th, 2012 at 12:22:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080118214526AA0JgnT

5 years ago, someone listed it as 7.99 for a 6 pack depending on where you live.

(Blame Bush, Duffman).
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 18th, 2012 at 1:16:46 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I remember spending $9.99 for a six-pack of Anchor Steam back in about 1995. $8 now will get you a single Corona at the bar at Venetian. Just sayin'.
November 18th, 2012 at 3:24:37 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
Quote: AZDuffman
Next to impossible to buy a six-pack here, only way is take-out at a bar. Food inflation has been with us the past few years, expect it to continue. It has been "hidden" as the Feds changed how they calculate inflation, but it is there. Usually people notice when they buy 1-2 items alone or first time in some time and have a "WHOA" moment.

You can't print $500MMM+ a year and expect there to be no consequences.

That's driving me NUTS. Where am I supposed to buy beer in this state? I managed to find wine and liquor, but apparently the liquor stores don't sell beer. But neither do grocery stores. So what am I missing??
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 18th, 2012 at 4:01:23 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rdw4potus
That's driving me NUTS. Where am I supposed to buy beer in this state? I managed to find wine and liquor, but apparently the liquor stores don't sell beer. But neither do grocery stores. So what am I missing??

You need to find a "Beer Distributor." They are not hard to find, but finding one you prefer may take time. Some you just drive in and ask for what you want, some are a grocery-store format and sell pop and chips as well.

They are usually closed Sunday's, but that has been liberalized the last few years. If it is late you can carry 2 six-packs out of most independent bars.
The President is a fink.
November 18th, 2012 at 5:44:58 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
I'm sure that I'm doing it wrong because I go into a bar and expect to pay $4 for a crappy 12oz Coors Light. Then again, I don't usually go out to bars and when I do, I don't drink beer (my friends do). So $9 for six sounds like a freakin' deal to me!!
November 19th, 2012 at 3:58:24 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
I take this subject seriously, and my strategy is to patiently wait for a good beer to go on sale and then stock up like a lunatic survivalist. In fact earlier today, I was at my local Safeway where they're selling 12 packs of Sierra Nevada for $12.99. FYI, their sale ends December 4th.
November 19th, 2012 at 6:23:42 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: reno
I take this subject seriously, and my strategy is to patiently wait for a good beer to go on sale and then stock up like a lunatic survivalist. In fact earlier today, I was at my local Safeway where they're selling 12 packs of Sierra Nevada for $12.99. FYI, their sale ends December 4th.

How long you store that for, reno, and in what manner? I always worry that it's gonna go yucky unless I keep it refrigerated, and a fridge is only so big...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 19th, 2012 at 8:58:15 PM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
It could be worse. You could live in Ontario.

Government-controlled beer monopoly:

Actually a pretty fun place to buy beer.

Beer will always be expensive because of the three-tier system of distribution, marketing costs, and generally the higher cost to produce good-tasting beer.

I was shocked to find six-packs for $1.99 at a local grocery; it was Rhinelander from Wisconsin. Absolute pisswater, but it was beer.
Page 1 of 41234>