Replacement?

April 27th, 2015 at 4:55:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm leaving for Vegas next Sunday (May 3rd). I won't be back until May 22nd (Friday).

I will try to log in frequently, but I can best do that with a tablet. On a tablet, posting's hard. So while I'll be checking in, I won't be posting much, if at all. I expect I'll break down and pay for WiFi a couple of times (or will have to for work).

Therefore I trust someone will keep righteously bashing religion in my absence.

I may post suggestions or provocative catch-phrases now and then. Like this one:

I don't need to read the Bible. I'm already an atheist.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 27th, 2015 at 5:50:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
I don't need to read the Bible. I'm already an atheist.

Ha, what you are really saying is:

"I don't need to read the Bible. I already made up my mind what it says."
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 27th, 2015 at 7:03:40 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Cant say I will take up the mantle
but
Just watched an episode of Frontline last nite on netflix, One of my all time favorite documentary producers.
Secrets of the Vatican. It looked interesting. Even as an atheist , I love this stuff.
They examined some of the scandals regarding Pope Benedict and his resignation.
Wow, very eye opening.
Francis has his work cut out for him.
The corruption is staggering and continues.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 27th, 2015 at 7:08:58 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: FrGamble
Ha, what you are really saying is: "I don't need to read the Bible. I already made up my mind what it says."

Or perhaps:
I don't need to know which particular cave men wrote what portions of it, as a whole I feel able to reject it in its totality as irrelevant for a modern society.

Its sort of like the confirmation of the long suspected Bering Sea Bridge as a route for trade goods from Asia to North America. I enjoyed reading about it but I did not care particularly which trade goods were involved or like nor did I need to know the exact ratios of metallurgical impurities.

I have sufficient facts to base a decision on its relevance; I do not have to take all the proffered studies in UFOs to be able to reject the concept as utterly absurd.
April 27th, 2015 at 7:36:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Not at all. Penn Jillette frequently says that
if you're not an atheist, just read the Bible.
Read it like you're going to make a book
report, chapter to chapter, making notes
as you go. At the end you'll be an atheist
for sure.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 28th, 2015 at 6:16:58 AM permalink
Nareed

I'm certain what I'm really saying is "I don't need to read the Bible. I'm already an atheist."
April 28th, 2015 at 6:21:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
They examined some of the scandals regarding Pope Benedict and his resignation.
Wow, very eye opening.

If you like that sort of thing, read up on past popes. Today's scandals are tame in comparison to what some of these proxies of Jesus did. Particularly the renaissance popes. One led armies in battle. One was a Borgia. And pretty much the wealthier Italian families of the era owned the Vatican.

At one time, earlier in history, three popes reigned in Europe at the same time.