New beekeeping with AZDuffman

Page 2 of 26<12345>Last »
April 30th, 2015 at 1:09:40 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman

No idea on the tax breaks. If it works out I may consider being a "bee guy" and getting the rich folks across the river (that is literal BTW) to pay say $400 to have me manage their hives. Sell it as helping the environment and such. Keep the wax and part of the honey. that is a ways off though.

As to honey I have three or more people wanting to buy already. I have the feeling it can be moved if you work in an office or with a large group. The wax can do so much as well.

You should check. I don't know the details, but it was hundreds of acres with no property tax, all because of one stack of bee boxes. It was certainly a thing back in '11 or so. I imagine it might still be (bee, get it? =p), with the plight of the honey bee still being a thing. Chopping taxes alone would already be a boon worth the effort.

Pretty sure you can make soaps and whatnot, too. People eat that stuff up. Load up the SUV with all of your wares and it'll sell out the first day of the county fair.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 30th, 2015 at 2:14:34 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
This is very cool AZDuffman! I look forward to following your adventure. Do you need a permit to have a hive? I don't think I could start one in my suburban backyard because of the close proximity of the neighbors.

Thanks, hopefully better results than craps class some years back. OTOH I probably made at least $1,500 extra out of that plus raised my street cred with my superiors.

As to the neighbors, unless you are really close you could probably do it. People keep them in Manhattan and even here in SWPA on their porches. You might have to put in a "flyaway" which is as simple as a plant trellis a few feet from the door so they fly "up" faster and don't circle around as much. The class instructor all but said ignore getting the permit for city of Pittsburgh. Plus this is getting to be a bigger hobby so more and more places are codifying to allow them.

Quote: Face
You should check. I don't know the details, but it was hundreds of acres with no property tax, all because of one stack of bee boxes. It was certainly a thing back in '11 or so. I imagine it might still be (bee, get it? =p), with the plight of the honey bee still being a thing. Chopping taxes alone would already be a boon worth the effort.

Pretty sure you can make soaps and whatnot, too. People eat that stuff up. Load up the SUV with all of your wares and it'll sell out the first day of the county fair.

If it gets big I may check. But yes, soaps, lotions, lip balm, body butter, and people even sell dead bees on eBay. I would love to have it be an income stream along with the others I have. I'd rather do half a dozen hustles than one real job. I already look at the people at the courthouse who cannot leave until quitting time and have to wait for their breaks and lunches. Meanwhile I come and go as I like for the needs of the day. You think I would not want to make this stuff in that workshop I just made?
The President is a fink.
April 30th, 2015 at 3:37:36 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Fleastiff's "Two Cents":
Is there ever a topic on which that darned Fleastiff won't pipe up even though its obvious he never knows whereof he speaks?

Tax breaks extend over the range managed by the beekeeper so if the beekeeper makes sure that all 100 acres have no Mountain Laurel then the tax break extends to all 100 acres. Mountain Laurel means slightly poisonous honey.

Skills? So when do you plan to take up the skill of making Meade? Honey wine. What is it? Two hundred gallons a year is allowable, I think.

Stings. Watch a bee keeper sell honey at a Farmers Market. Pants tucked into socks, so no bee can fly up a pant leg and send a MayDay signal because he thinks he is trapped. Tight sleeve cuffs, etc. It just takes one bee to send out the pheremone for "Pile On".

Honey, healthy or what? Who cares, you see the prices people are getting for the stuff these days?

Diabetes is probably an infectious disease related to sugar substitutes, since its the sugar substitutes that render such changes to our natural bacterial populations.
April 30th, 2015 at 4:02:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff

Skills? So when do you plan to take up the skill of making Meade? Honey wine. What is it? Two hundred gallons a year is allowable, I think.

At least two years to get that kind of honey flow. Space gets to be an issue as well, small kitchen here and basement not well suited yet. But who knows. I never had Meade, is it any good?

Quote:
Stings. Watch a bee keeper sell honey at a Farmers Market. Pants tucked into socks, so no bee can fly up a pant leg and send a MayDay signal because he thinks he is trapped. Tight sleeve cuffs, etc. It just takes one bee to send out the pheremone for "Pile On".

They bring the bees??

Quote:
Honey, healthy or what? Who cares, you see the prices people are getting for the stuff these days?

I am wondering if $4 for 4oz in a nice, antique style bottle will work. Women especially will love these bottles. Problem is bottle and cork are near $1, and more than that for bigger sizes.
The President is a fink.
April 30th, 2015 at 4:14:06 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

I am wondering if $4 for 4oz in a nice, antique style bottle will work. Women especially will love these bottles. Problem is bottle and cork are near $1, and more than that for bigger sizes.

Just slap an "organic" sticker on it and charge a dollar more. Ain't no one you'll be selling to got the wherewithal to confirm, nor will most even check. Hell, slap "kosher" on there, too, for good measure. At least the kosher label is legit XD
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 30th, 2015 at 5:42:21 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I just finished reading a fat book on bee keeping and all the diseases and parasites that killed them off a few years ago. Fascinating stuff! Good luck with it AZD. You can rent out your hive to orchards for pollination purposes for extra bucks.
April 30th, 2015 at 8:44:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I never had Meade, is it any good?
Well in Biblical times they thought it was good but then again they didn't have any alternatives. In Medieval times they had lots of alternatives but still kept Meade.... in the last decade over forty Meadieries were opened in this country, but most have tasting rooms.

>They bring the bees??
Heck NO!! But they do bring their habits with them. Each and every time, no exceptions. ONE trapped bee can signal the others. Habits. Each and every time. No exceptions. Long socks that securely hold each pant leg well tucked inside. Tight sleeves. Etc.

>I am wondering if $4 for 4oz in a nice, antique style bottle will work.
Well, your next skill will be glass blowing.
April 30th, 2015 at 11:54:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188

Here you can use a little science.

Try offers in different containers. See which moves better. People may or may not want to buy honey which seems a lot more expensive than what they are familiar with. Or they may go for ornate bottles and pay more.

You might make more with cheap containers but fancy labels. Who knows.

My only preconceived notion for food items is anything that makes it look more appetizing will help.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 1st, 2015 at 12:59:30 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
How much honey have you got so far?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 1st, 2015 at 2:20:34 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
How much honey have you got so far?

Just what is in my cabinet. I only started the hive yesterday. I will be lucky to get any the first year.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 26<12345>Last »