End of the line for the MDA Telethon

Page 2 of 2<12
May 6th, 2015 at 4:22:37 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
True it is nowhere near as viewed as before, just saying a motivation is gone.

I guess if you could find a new 'cool' motivator for these groups, you might have a winner.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
May 6th, 2015 at 4:39:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
I guess if you could find a new 'cool' motivator for these groups, you might have a winner.

Times change and I kind of hope what happens is the biker chicks find a new, smaller charity to help. When I was in the Jaycees it drove me nuts that people always looked to the big boys. Make-A-Wish had an attitude of "just send the check" if you were not doing something huge. Habitat for Humanity had a waiting list to come and help. To be fair, you learned a great deal working with them sometimes, but waiting list nonetheless.

Once we found a family working for a thing called Cooley's Anemia. They wanted any kind of help, and they loved having us. There were so many of these kinds of things. Meanwhile, what really happens is that many of the big groups have a "local" group under them. The local coordinator runs a kind of franchise, drawing a salary and having a small staff and office. Some money stays local, but most must be kicked upstairs to the caporegime one level up.

Not saying it is all a scam, but it is not near as pure as most people think.
The President is a fink.
May 6th, 2015 at 4:44:42 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Oh, don't get me started on 'United Way'... same idea, big fundraising pushes for small local groups, but takes all the oxygen to self promote themselves, and not the people underneath.

Much more in favour of helping directly to smaller charities where possible.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
May 6th, 2015 at 5:06:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
Oh, don't get me started on 'United Way'... same idea, big fundraising pushes for small local groups, but takes all the oxygen to self promote themselves, and not the people underneath.

Much more in favour of helping directly to smaller charities where possible.

That bunch is a borderline mafia. At least lately they let you give or not in secret, at least the last place I was at. Benefit of being a freelancer is you don't get shaken down as much.

One thing, though, some groups are very good. The Salvation Army is one of the best of the bigs. I got even more respect for them when Joan Kroc died and left them a huge amount. They have a rule where they must use all funds in the same fiscal year, presumably except for needed operating expenses for the next month or whatever. Anyhow, they said there was no way to use all that cash in one year without either a huge amount of waste or/and causing a big liability for what they started in following years. They made some waiver on it. But it shows how serious they are that they are there for CHARITY and not to be on a cushy foundation board.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 2<12