How many jobs have you had in your life?

Page 2 of 2<12
May 20th, 2015 at 10:44:15 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Boy, this brings back memories....

Since I got out of high school in 1977, here's what I can remember. And I'm counting unique employers. Multiple jobs I may have had for any one employer gets counted only once.

Restaurant - 5
Retail - 3
Drive / Delivery - 4
Entertainment - 5
Computer operation / programming - 7

Note that I'm probably missing a few. Also note that I often had a part time job while also having a full time job. For a while I was juggling three (or sometimes four!) part time jobs at once.

The most unique job was one I had in the 80's. Around 11:00 each morning I went to a building at the Meadowlands behind the racetrack where they would print the next day's programs. I took two bundles (50 programs) hot off the press, and drove them to a house in Queens. This house was on the end of a dead-end street with other nice houses, but it was a bit bigger than the rest. Behind a large in ground pool were TWO satellite dishes (the big 8 foot kind). I only saw one room in the house. In there was a pool table, the guy's office desk, five TVs next to each other and 4 doberman pinchers. You tell ME who lived there... From there I drove a couple blocks to an Insty-Print type place where I picked up a bundle of race tip sheets for the next night's race, also hot off the press. I needed to bring these to the Meadowland's offices the next morning, before doing it all again.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
May 20th, 2015 at 10:48:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
Looks like you just have absolutely no resolve or ability to stick things out (/joke).

Maybe. But no joke I have felt my attitude towards co-workers change. I have a bit of that combat-vet feeling that you do not know how things will go so don't bother getting too close. Not that I am rude, but I stay a bit removed.

Quote:
I think being flexible in employment is important... companies don't owe you a living... and you don't owe them one either. But some managers expect you to live and die for the job, which is unreasonable in any company that is looking out for itself rather than it's employees (some of the latter do exist, and one of the appeals for shared ownership and co-operative models).

As to "what you do to keep working" I probably can beat 90% of the folks out there. It is a good thing because you keep working. My goal remains to have a few hustles and most people when asked "what do I do" can't totally answer.
The President is a fink.
May 20th, 2015 at 3:29:38 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
My goal remains to have a few hustles and most people when asked "what do I do" can't totally answer.

The French have an idiom, that to an English speaker, sounds slightly sexual in nature, but in French it really has no sexual connotation at all. Its "I manage my affairs" and it roughly translates to I have several gigs, hustles, side-hustles; not merely "investments" as if he were a coupon-clipper or something but more "angles".
May 20th, 2015 at 4:05:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
The French have an idiom, that to an English speaker, sounds slightly sexual in nature, but in French it really has no sexual connotation at all. Its "I manage my affairs" and it roughly translates to I have several gigs, hustles, side-hustles; not merely "investments" as if he were a coupon-clipper or something but more "angles".

Sounds fairly close! Just trying to keep irons in the fire. Know as many land brokers as I can, get a few good signing clients. Get another rental unit. Maybe even another straight job some day. I so wish I had gotten the concept better years ago. I kind of did, just never pursued it.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 2<12