Happy Thanksgiving 2012!

November 22nd, 2012 at 7:15:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
While Thanksgiving means little outisde of the US, it is the one American holiday that does impact the rest of the world significantly. Why? Because of the Thanksgiving NFL games. Traditionally these games are hosted by Dallas and Detroit, and there are reasons for that, but since a few yearsa go a third game, with no fixed host, has been added in the evening. It's like a mini regular NFL week.

This year, too, I received an invite to a Thanksgiving lunch (I know the tradition is dinner), We have a new coworker, call him E. He used to work for one of our competitors, and I'd met him at a few events over the years. We got along well and talked mostly about football. Now that we work at the same office, though, I've learned he's also fluent in English because he has some kind of family ties to the US. He "celebrates" thanksgiving by going to Sanborn's for the mid-day meal. This restaurant chain (there are maybe 100 or mroe all over the country) offers a Thanksgiving day menu (also Xmas and New year's eve menus). So E invited me to have lunch today.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 22nd, 2012 at 5:12:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
In the end almost the whole department came along. E ordered the Thanksgiving special (consome, potato salad, turkey with gravy and cranberries, pumpkin pie). I ordered a burger (Sanborn's usually makes great burgers; plain, but with top quality beef).

It turns out he also like sSF a lot. I loaned him my SW Thrawn Trilogy books, and have him on the hook for the B5 and Asimov books, too :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER