This is a terrible idea!

May 27th, 2015 at 3:48:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
It's not really. But it was. But it wasn't. It's now a highly successful idea. But it wasn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boo.com
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2015 at 5:08:37 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
It's not really. But it was. But it wasn't. It's now a highly successful idea. But it wasn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boo.com

Boo was awful, because it expected super highspeed connection when everyone had dial up. Folks weren't comfortable yet shopping online, and clothes were a huge risk... a book is a book, but a badly fitting shirt is a shirt you gotta send back. And, I think boo had a whole slate load of hubris in the Upper Management.

Years before it's time.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
May 27th, 2015 at 5:12:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: TheCesspit
Years before it's time.

Yes, I thought it was interesting in that light.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2015 at 5:18:03 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Thing is, it could have been like Amazon and still around. Build slowly, test markets, pivot and improve, then start enthusiastic growth when you know you've got the base customer base to expand into. They hit that area at the end (half million in sales in a fortnight), but 125 million had been pissed against a wall by that point. Funding disappeared, and all gone.

I remember browsing boo.com very early on (1999/2000). It was not fun, and after laughing at Ms. Boo with friends (one or two of whom had some dealings with the company) never went back again.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life