Getting a SIM chip in the US

Page 2 of 2<12
June 2nd, 2015 at 7:15:38 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
In Virginia they had more channels than could be permitted by the standards of the time, so there was an A/B switch for two different cables. I think many people would have an A/B switch to use their Aerial along with cable.

In Mexico City, cable carried the local stations (all 6, if memory serves). Most people had a converter box with a controller for changing the channel, while the TV remained set on channel 3. A few had an A/B switch and changed channels on the TV. Our first "cable ready" TV didn't have one of these, but it also didn't get all the channels offered. I think this lasted a few weeks, and then we got a converter box.

Currently the setup is the same: TV on 3 and a digital converter box. Only now there is a wireless remote rather than one connected to the converter with a long cord.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 2nd, 2015 at 7:45:56 AM permalink
Nareed
Another option is to get a local SIM card that will have working roaming in the US.

Also, if I change phones this year, I could keep the iphone for use in Vegas with another SIM. What else would I do with an iphone 4? Donate it to a museum? Sell it at a pawn shop as an antique? :)
June 2nd, 2015 at 12:15:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
What else would I do with an iphone 4?

Some people give them to charity.

I have old phones which can be activated for $11.77 which give you 95 minutes of talk (12.4 cents per minute) or 2 text messages per every talk minute. Sometimes people visit from Europe and they purchase a burner phone while they are here, but this gives tham a cheaper option. If they want data, they have to buy or bring their own phone.

Old android phones have a dozen uses from remote controls to monitoring equipment around the house.
June 2nd, 2015 at 2:35:54 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Some people give them to charity.

I could see that. Do you know any charities which take old phones? I wouldn't give up my iphone just yet, but I have some older, non-smart, phones just taking up space somewhere.

Quote:
Old android phones have a dozen uses from remote controls to monitoring equipment around the house.

I don't even have a new Android phone :)
June 2nd, 2015 at 4:48:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I could see that. Do you know any charities which take old phones? I wouldn't give up my iphone just yet, but I have some older, non-smart, phones just taking up space somewhere.

http://www.verizon.com/about/hopeline

Hopeline in the USA collected over 11 million phones. Primarily in the USA they are used for domestic abuse victims. They program them with one or more emergency numbers. That way if the abusive spouse locks them in a room, or controls the normal phones, they can still call for help.

In Mexico they use them for a similar use, but also for indigenous people who don't have any access to banking or elderly people who live alone.
July 27th, 2015 at 6:18:37 AM permalink
Nareed
Developments... The substandard cell provider contracted by our company is advertising the fact they'll no longer apply roaming charges in the US. If this covers the company phones, then I won't need a local SIM next year in Vegas.
August 5th, 2015 at 7:49:31 AM permalink
Nareed
Surprise, surprise. They don't cover our company phones.

I chanced upon an IT guy I know and asked him. Allegedly, they're negotiating a change in the plan for just this reason.
August 5th, 2015 at 12:49:02 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Surprise, surprise. They don't cover our company phones.

I chanced upon an IT guy I know and asked him. Allegedly, they're negotiating a change in the plan for just this reason.

https://www.telcelamerica.com/secure/ServicePlans?language=en

Telcel America has been marketing a plan that covers both nations for about 3 years. They have versions that work with all four networks (verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-mobile). I think they started at $60/month but now they are down to $35/month.
Page 2 of 2<12