Too good?

Page 1 of 3123>
June 4th, 2015 at 1:52:06 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I've been trying online dating lately.

While I've received a fair number of messages (I'm stunned, too), I've connected with only one man. I like him, and I'm eager to pursue a deeper relationship. He, on the other hand, is very enthusiastic about me. I've been nice, of course (yes, I can be nice), and quite open. But I feel he's rushing things, and me as well. I'm concerned he may be building an image of me I can't live up to.

In many ways he's what I'm looking for. Oh, hell, he's exactly what I'm looking for: handsome, professional, learned, nice, very romantic, creative, tolerant, easy going and more (he also cooks!). I don't know that I was looking for intense, but he's that, too. Some aspects were we clash, at lest those on his part, can be accommodated or dealt with.

I don't want to discourage him at all, but I need a little bit of time. not to mention getting a handle on the job's logistics, before I can hop on a plane to meet him. I don't see how we could possibly meet sooner than mid-October.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 4th, 2015 at 3:23:42 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
I've been trying online dating lately.

While I've received a fair number of messages (I'm stunned, too), I've connected with only one man. I like him, and I'm eager to pursue a deeper relationship. He, on the other hand, is very enthusiastic about me. I've been nice, of course (yes, I can be nice), and quite open. But I feel he's rushing things, and me as well. I'm concerned he may be building an image of me I can't live up to.

In many ways he's what I'm looking for. Oh, hell, he's exactly what I'm looking for: handsome, professional, learned, nice, very romantic, creative, tolerant, easy going and more (he also cooks!). I don't know that I was looking for intense, but he's that, too. Some aspects were we clash, at lest those on his part, can be accommodated or dealt with.

I don't want to discourage him at all, but I need a little bit of time. not to mention getting a handle on the job's logistics, before I can hop on a plane to meet him. I don't see how we could possibly meet sooner than mid-October.

Take it slow.
Online communication has its limitations.
Especially if you have never met the person in person.
You really don't get a good handle on somebody until you spend time with somebody in person.
I personally would look for somebody local, have lunch, see how things go from there :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 4th, 2015 at 5:14:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
Take it slow.

Oh, I am.

Quote:
You really don't get a good handle on somebody until you spend time with somebody in person.

Absolutely.

On the other hand, years ago (and I'm no saying how many) I developed a similar relationship over snail-mail and a few phone calls. But the person on the other end seemed to prefer to talk about meeting than in actually meeting. We lasted over a year but never met.

I don't ever want to be that kind of person.
June 4th, 2015 at 5:28:48 PM permalink
terapined
At the very minimum, I would do an online skype video chat or something similar.
You can actually give each other a tour of your places.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 4th, 2015 at 6:52:25 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
At the very minimum, I would do an online skype video chat or something similar.

I've never used Skype. Would you believe that? Never? (With apologies to "Get Smart")

All my latest PCs have some king od integrated webcam... I might try that...
June 4th, 2015 at 7:26:25 PM permalink
terapined
I've never used Skype. Would you believe that? Never? (With apologies to "Get Smart")

All my latest PCs have some king od integrated webcam... I might try that...

Try video chat roulette for giggles.
Its can be pretty fun.
Sometimes interesting, sometimes weird.
Its pretty international
sometimes x rated :-)

http://chatroulette.com/
June 4th, 2015 at 7:48:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The best part of a new relationship is
what you're experiencing right now.
Savor it, you know it's all an uphill
battle from here on.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 5th, 2015 at 10:17:42 AM permalink
Nareed
Is there a Skype-type app for just voice calls? Can it handle international calls to the US?

I should know these things... I could make good use of the fantastic WiFi at home.
June 5th, 2015 at 11:00:38 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Is there a Skype-type app for just voice calls? Can it handle international calls to the US?

I should know these things... I could make good use of the fantastic WiFi at home.

Yes, Viber or What's App will both do voice over wifi.
June 5th, 2015 at 11:04:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Mosca
Yes, Viber or What's App will both do voice over wifi.

Thanks!

The last remotely similar thing I ever used was Dialpad (and it was such a PITA to chase the dinosaurs off the desktop to use it).
Page 1 of 3123>