Race - Dolezal, Dylan roof, white supremacy groups - some comments

Page 3 of 3<123
June 21st, 2015 at 3:20:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: NYSith
The Fort Hood shooting has been called "Workplace violence". I agree with you, it definitely meets the standard for terrorism, but no one wants to call it such because in my opinion, they don't want to alienate soldiers that are Muslims and loyal to the United States and their fellow service members. I served with several Muslim soldiers during my 21 year career in the Army and I would trust them with my life. I'm sure there is a percentage that is secretly sympathetic to radical Islamic causes and a few have acted on those beliefs. The larger percentage are loyal, otherwise there would be a lot more attacks like the Fort Hood shooting occurring. A lot of people comment about how the Obama administration won't call it a terrorist act, but on the flip side, you may hear the rank and file in the military say it was a terrorist act, but the Brass at the Pentagon don't. At least not openly. Calling it "Workplace violence" does a disservice to the personnel that were killed and injured. It denies benefits to surviving family members of those that were killed.

Everyone knows Muslims don't have a corner on the market for terrorism. The IRA used terrorist tactics as did Bader Meinholf and the Red Army faction in Germany and they were certainly white. Timothy McVeigh was the original domestic terrorist in my book, he just wasn't motivated by race.

McVeigh was not the first, just the biggest. He might be the firsts in that his target was repressive government and not about race or individuals. That tower shooter back in the 1960s might be the first modern one.

It it past time for this country to grow up on the "offending muslims" thing. I do not recall Wilson or FDR not calling them "Germans" to avoid "offending" the millions of Americans of German decent. We have this PC thing where people want to always give qualifiers to general statements. Where we seem to refuse to make generalized statements. Then you have other people who think that the only other "solution" is a crackdown like FDR did to Japanese Americans. (Although that was less about concern of loyalty and more to deny Japanese agents to blend in.) Lost is the simple idea of profiling and watching more closely until you are satisfied there is no problem. Doing so is just good police work, looking for things out of place and seeing the reason. The reason may be innocuous or it may be reason for concern, but you look. In today's society there is a huge part of our population that would rather there be violence than the reason for stopping it be that authorities had a concern about "how someone looked."
The President is a fink.
June 21st, 2015 at 6:54:07 AM permalink
NYSith
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
McVeigh was not the first, just the biggest. He might be the firsts in that his target was repressive government and not about race or individuals. That tower shooter back in the 1960s might be the first modern one.

It it past time for this country to grow up on the "offending muslims" thing. I do not recall Wilson or FDR not calling them "Germans" to avoid "offending" the millions of Americans of German decent. We have this PC thing where people want to always give qualifiers to general statements. Where we seem to refuse to make generalized statements.

Lost is the simple idea of profiling and watching more closely until you are satisfied there is no problem. Doing so is just good police work, looking for things out of place and seeing the reason. The reason may be innocuous or it may be reason for concern, but you look. In today's society there is a huge part of our population that would rather there be violence than the reason for stopping it be that authorities had a concern about "how someone looked."

Forgot about that guy, Charles Whitman, the one who shot up the UT campus. Not sure what his reason for shooting people was. Charles Manson might qualify for terrorism as does the SLA although Manson was bats**t crazy. I'd like to think that in the case of the Fort Hood shooting, it's not a PC thing about "offending Muslims", but more for concern over "maintaining good order and discipline" in the military. Statements that could lead to the breakdown of trust amongst military personnel would be devastating. I think "profiling" got a bad name for itself because some abuse came from it, but essentially a large part of police work is profiling. It's an effective tool for preventing a lot of crime.
June 21st, 2015 at 8:33:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: NYSith
I think "profiling" got a bad name for itself because some abuse came from it, but essentially a large part of police work is profiling. It's an effective tool for preventing a lot of crime.

IIRC, Profiling was made famous by the NJ Troopers and was called "racial profiling." The simple word "racial" set off alarm bells. They were accused of pulling black drivers over more than whites. It turned out when they did an unbiased check that blacks were actually speeding in greater numbers than whites.

When people hear "racial profiling" they assume it means you pick a minority group and just hassle any member of that group. The reality is different. It could be a white male in an all-black area driving too slow. It could be a black male who appears not to have a destination or purpose for being in an area he does not live. I was profiled as a white male traveling alone on an international flight when I was in my late 20s. Airline crew are trained to look for anyone who appears unduly nervous and suspicious.

But yes, profiling is just part of good police work. Sometimes out-of-place things are just by chance. Other times they are a legit threat. As a nation we have to get over using race as a reason that people get looked at. Race is no different than age or sex in describing someone.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 3<123