Animal Farm by George Orwell
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
Stamped from the Beginning by Ibram X. Kendi
The 1619 Project by Nikole Hannah-Jones
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Ive read Farenheit 451, 1984, Lord of the Flies and Slaughterhouse 5
This is good stuff

No disrespect intended, but how have you NOT read 1984? For a well-read and intelligent person such as yourself, it's basically a must.

From that list, I've read:

Fahrenheit 451
To Kill a Mockingbird
Lord of the Flies
Of Mice and Men

I want to say that all of the above were mandatory in either middle or high school (depends on the book), except I selected Of Mice and Men for a book review project from a list, so not everyone in class necessarily read that one. Our Composition teachers' general attitude towards banned books could be summarized as, "That means they are highly controversial, therefore, the students should read them."

They even had us read Lolita, but almost everyone in class (myself included) thought it sucked. We couldn't identify with Humbert whatsoever.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 26th, 2023 at 6:42:29 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
He was my fave writer in HS. Martian Chronicles,
Something Wicked This Way Comes. His prose
is almost poetry sometimes. I remember reading
The April Witch out loud for a short story class.

Agreed. He's one of my favorites. I read Fahrenheit 451, of course, and also sort of a compilation book of short stories.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 26th, 2023 at 6:50:38 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146
No disrespect intended, but how have you NOT read 1984? For a well-read and intelligent person such as yourself, it's basically a must.

Fahrenheit 451
To Kill a Mockingbird
Lord of the Flies
Of Mice and Men

I want to say that all of the above were mandatory in either middle or high school (depends on the book), except I selected Of Mice and Men for a book review project from a list, so not everyone in class necessarily read that one. Our Composition teachers' general attitude towards banned books could be summarized as, "That means they are highly controversial, therefore, the students should read them."

They even had us read Lolita, but almost everyone in class (myself included) thought it sucked. We couldn't identify with Humbert whatsoever.

Huh
You included my quote of reading 1984 then ask me how have I have not read 1984
Are you ok Mission

Wondering if Desantis is coming for these books.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 26th, 2023 at 7:16:22 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
Quote: Mission146

Fahrenheit 451
To Kill a Mockingbird
Lord of the Flies
Of Mice and Men

Huh
You included my quote of reading 1984 then ask me how have I have not read 1984
Are you ok Mission

Wondering if Desantis is coming for these books.

How have you not read Fahrenheit 451!?

JK. I'm sorry; I simply didn't catch 1984 somehow. I'm actually not entirely okay; my sinuses are such from this Covid that I almost can't open my left eye. I'm still not going to seek medical attention yet, but I'm getting close to doing.

DeSantis? No idea. What Florida does is irrelevant to me.
Page 2 of 2<12