Cadaver blood

July 24th, 2015 at 9:44:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
This article advocates draining the dead of blood for use in transfusions:

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2015/07/a_simple_solution_to_end_blood_shortages.html

At root, I fail to see any objections. We get organs from the dead, too this could be handled the same way, too. naturally not all cadavers would be eligible blood donors, but that's true of living donors as well. The screening could work as it does for living donors.

The big advantage is you can get all of a cadaver's blood all at once.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 24th, 2015 at 9:58:22 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
This article advocates draining the dead of blood for use in transfusions:

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2015/07/a_simple_solution_to_end_blood_shortages.html

At root, I fail to see any objections. We get organs from the dead, too this could be handled the same way, too. naturally not all cadavers would be eligible blood donors, but that's true of living donors as well. The screening could work as it does for living donors.

The big advantage is you can get all of a cadaver's blood all at once.

I think all dead or dying bodies should be used for organ and blood donation.
As a deadhead, we hear about organ donation at every concert.
Every single concert, at the end, Phil Lesh (bass) does his Organ donation talk.
Phil is only alive beacuse a young adult, Cody, who is mentioned at every concert, died in a car accident and his family donated his organs.
Phil Lesh is alive because he has Cody's liver transplanted to him.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 24th, 2015 at 10:50:46 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
there are still risks with cadaver tissue, be it blood or organs.

does anyone know if this was done under extreme circumstances such as pearl Harbor. I know they bled the wives repeatedly

there are too many anecdotal reports of transfusion mediated behavior changes such as smoking and gambling and transfusion mediated disease transmission.
July 24th, 2015 at 12:42:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
there are still risks with cadaver tissue, be it blood or organs.

Emergency - you get the best available. If the best available is also the most preferred you're lucky. Maybe you can live with a blood substitute. Maybe not.
At least if you're awake you can refuse and take your chances.

Anything else -- well, you can pre donate your own blood for an operation if you're well enough.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?