Wanna go the most places nonstop? turkish Airlines in Istanbul is now the #1 leader

July 30th, 2015 at 2:34:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Turkish airlines in Istanbul now has 18 more nonstop destinations than Delta in Atlanta.

Turkish Airlines now flies to a number of destinations in the USA. Soon you will be able to transfer in Istanbul as well as Dubai
Atlanta (begins 16 May 2016),
Boston,
Chicago-O'Hare,
Houston-Intercontinental,
New York-JFK,
Washington-Dulles,

Ataturk Arpt, Istanbul, TR (IST) and Dubai Intl Arpt, Dubai, AE (DXB) are 1870 miles apart.

Istanbul and Mexico City are only 7090 miles apart, so they may take the lead in connecting MEX to Asia. As I said before Dubai and MEX are 8900 miles which would be the longest nonstop commercial flight in the world. Emirates is unlikely to try this distance especially given the altitude of Mexico City
July 30th, 2015 at 2:59:11 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Emirates is unlikely to try this distance especially given the altitude of Mexico City

Toluca is even higher, so that's no help... Cancun is at sea level, and farther east but also farther south. Plus flights from there to Mex City, while plentiful, are not exactly cheap.

The obvious compromise is Cuernavaca. It's past the Mexico Valley region, just, and about 700 meters or so lower. Say about as low as Denver, give or take a few meters. It's about an hour's drive away from the city, plus anywhere from an additional 45 to 120 minutes to reach the highway depending on traffic (oh, that's not good).

There is an airport there, but I've no idea if it can handle a wide-body.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 30th, 2015 at 3:22:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Makes some sense. Look at a flat world map and note how central Turkey is located. Crossroads of Europe, Asia, Middle East, even Africa.
The President is a fink.
July 30th, 2015 at 3:28:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
The obvious compromise is Cuernavaca. It's past the Mexico Valley region, just, and about 700 meters or so lower. Say about as low as Denver, give or take a few meters. It's about an hour's drive away from the city, plus anywhere from an additional 45 to 120 minutes to reach the highway depending on traffic (oh, that's not good). There is an airport there, but I've no idea if it can handle a wide-body.

There would be no interest in flying widebodies to Cuernavaca. I doubt that there are many (if any) even in Cancun.

Aeromexico flies 7000 miles to Tokyo and stops outgoing in Monterrey. They may be looking for passengers as well as easing the fuel requirements from high altitude in Mexico City. They fly 8000 miles to Shanghai but stop in Tijuana from both directions. They used to fly the 6350 miles from MEX to Rome, but nobody is doing that presently.

I am sure that a lot of Mexico to Asian traffic goes through LAX.

It may be that there is just no business from Dubai or Istanbul to make it worth their while. But it seems like Emirates intends to connect the entire world through Dubai, so I can't believe they won't eventually include Mexico.

Russian airlines are doing a good business in flying Indian Americans to Delhi and Mumbai via Moscow.

Turkish Americans are a pretty small group. The airline may do a good business either in businessmen or in transfers. Possibly Air Istanbul is also taking immigrant groups back home as well (to Africa, Pakistan, or elsewhere ).
July 30th, 2015 at 3:48:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
There would be no interest in flying widebodies to Cuernavaca. I doubt that there are many (if any) even in Cancun.

I can't quite see the flights from Europe to Cancun being done in a 737/320 or even 757. Not for another decade or two.

A few years back, Copa Airlines began running ads directed at South American audiences, to the effect they now could connect in Panama rather than Miami when traveling within their part of the continent. Cancun is not Panama, but it might be a good connection point for South American travelers to Asia
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 31st, 2015 at 4:49:58 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Turkish airlines in Istanbul now has 18 more nonstop destinations than Delta in Atlanta.

Turkish Airlines now flies to a number of destinations in the USA. Soon you will be able to transfer in Istanbul as well as Dubai
Atlanta (begins 16 May 2016),
Boston,
Chicago-O'Hare,
Houston-Intercontinental,
New York-JFK,
Washington-Dulles,

Ataturk Arpt, Istanbul, TR (IST) and Dubai Intl Arpt, Dubai, AE (DXB) are 1870 miles apart.

Istanbul and Mexico City are only 7090 miles apart, so they may take the lead in connecting MEX to Asia. As I said before Dubai and MEX are 8900 miles which would be the longest nonstop commercial flight in the world. Emirates is unlikely to try this distance especially given the altitude of Mexico City

Intetresting.
I sell Turkish Airlines sometimes due to clients going to ADB.
I send some to IST but my main destination in Turkey is ADB for my clients
Sometimes will sell Turkish airlines from USA through IST to ADB
A lot of my clients take LH because can fly Germany to ADB nonstop.
Some take skyteam, DL KL AF to Istanbul and then take TK to ADB
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"