Ten Republican presidential candidates met in Cleveland for a primetime debate on Fox News.

Page 1 of 41234>
August 6th, 2015 at 9:45:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
It looks like Bush and Trump decided to be civil.

KELLY: Governor Bush, I want to ask you, on the subject of name calling of your fellow candidates, a story appeared today quoting an anonymous GOP donor who said you called Mr. Trump a clown, a buffoon, something else that cannot be repeated on television.
BUSH: None of which is true.
KELLY: Is it true?
BUSH: No. It’s not true. But I have said that Mr. Trump’s language is divisive.
I want to win. I want one of these people here or the ones at 5:00, to be the next president of the United States.
We’re not going on win by doing what Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton do each and every day. Dividing the country. Saying, creating a grievance kind of environment. We’re going to win when we unite people with a hopeful, optimistic message. I have that message because I was a governor of a state that saw people lifted up, because we had high sustained economic growth. Our economy grew at double the rate of the nation. We created 1.3 million jobs. We led the nation seven out of those eight years. We were only one of two states that went to AAA bond rating. I cut taxes, $19 billion. If you do that and apply conservative principles the right way, you create an environment where everybody rises up. That’s how we’re going to win. Campaigning in places to give people hope that their life is better because too many people are suffering today in America.
KELLY: Mr. Trump, 30 seconds.
TRUMP: First of all, Jeb, I am very happy that you denied that, and I appreciate that very much. He is a true gentleman. He really is.
One thing he did say, and I mean that. The one thing he did say about me, however, was my tone. And I also understand that. But when you have people that are cutting Christians’ heads off, when you have a world that the border and at so many places, that it is medieval times, we’ve never — it almost has to be as bad as it ever was in terms of the violence and the horror, we don’t have time for tone. We have to go out and get the job done.

Megyn and Donald not so much

KELLY: Mr. Trump, one of the things people love about you is you speak your mind and you don’t use a politician’s filter. However, that is not without its downsides, in particular, when it comes to women.
You’ve called women you don’t like “fat pigs, dogs, slobs, and disgusting animals.”
(LAUGHTER)
Your Twitter account…
TRUMP: Only Rosie O’Donnell.
(LAUGHTER)
KELLY: No, it wasn’t.
(APPLAUSE)
Your Twitter account…
(APPLAUSE)
TRUMP: Thank you.
KELLY: For the record, it was well beyond Rosie O’Donnell.
TRUMP: Yes, I’m sure it was.
KELLY: Your Twitter account has several disparaging comments about women’s looks. You once told a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees. Does that sound to you like the temperament of a man we should elect as president, and how will you answer the charge from Hillary Clinton, who was likely to be the Democratic nominee, that you are part of the war on women?
TRUMP: I think the big problem this country has is being politically correct.
(APPLAUSE)
I’ve been challenged by so many people, and I don’t frankly have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn’t have time either. This country is in big trouble. We don’t win anymore. We lose to China. We lose to Mexico both in trade and at the border. We lose to everybody.
And frankly, what I say, and oftentimes it’s fun, it’s kidding. We have a good time. What I say is what I say. And honestly Megyn, if you don’t like it, I’m sorry. I’ve been very nice to you, although I could probably maybe not be, based on the way you have treated me. But I wouldn’t do that.
(APPLAUSE)
But you know what, we — we need strength, we need energy, we need quickness and we need brain in this country to turn it around. That, I can tell you right now.
August 7th, 2015 at 12:57:34 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Trump is killing in the polls I've read so
far. The Drudge poll has 300,000 votes
and Trump has 50% of them. The
Time poll has him with 34% and nobody
else has even half that. He comes across
as authentic, everybody else as paid off
politician.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 7th, 2015 at 1:08:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
sometimes the voters are ready for an authentic pompous jerk simply because he is portrayed at being anything other than a career politician. they don't really care for the pompous jerk all that much, but its a breath of fresh air for a change.
August 7th, 2015 at 6:38:46 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
August 7th, 2015 at 6:39:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Trump is the perfect candidate to be the front runner during the silly season.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 7th, 2015 at 11:59:53 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
sometimes the voters are ready for an authentic pompous jerk simply because he is portrayed at being anything other than a career politician. they don't really care for the pompous jerk all that much, but its a breath of fresh air for a change.

Donald Trump refused to make the pledge that he wouldn’t run as a third party candidate, all but ensuring that if he doesn’t get the nomination he would split the GOP vote and make a clear pathway for the Democrats.

H. Ross Perot, Sr.(Age 85) is still alive and worth just slightly less than Donald Trump.
August 8th, 2015 at 12:39:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Donald Trump refused to make the pledge that he wouldn’t run as a third party candidate, all but ensuring that if he doesn’t get the nomination he would split the GOP vote .

The Donald is a strategist. It was a +EV move.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 11th, 2015 at 7:55:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
The Donald is a strategist. It was a +EV move.

August 14, 2011 Tim Pawlenty, dropped out of the race after a third-place finish at the Ames Straw Poll.
First held in 1979, the first six editions were held on the campus of Iowa State University in Ames. On June 12, 2015, the Republican Party of Iowa announced that the straw poll will no longer be held.

Herman Cain was the only major candidate to suspend campaign before primaries on December 3, 2011

Given no straw poll, who do you think will be gone before the primaries and caucuses in February? A recent Yahoo article reminds us that running for president can be very lucrative, they cite Mike Huckabee as a good example.

Here is a list again with Vegas odds from April
REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATION
Sunday 24th April 2016, 22:00
  1. Jeb Bush 5/4
  2. Scott Walker 5/2
  3. Donald Trump 6/1
  4. Marco Rubio 7/1
  5. Rand Paul 10/1
  6. John Kasich 14/1
  7. Chris Christie 16/1
  8. Ben Carson 20/1
  9. Mike Huckabee 25/1
  10. Ted Cruz 25/1
  11. Carly Fiorina 20/1
  12. Bobby Jindal 33/1
  13. Rick Santorum 40/1
  14. Rick Perry 40/1
  15. Jim Gilmore 66/1
  16. George Pataki 66/1
  17. Lindsey Graham 66/1
August 11th, 2015 at 8:13:49 AM permalink
Nareed
If elected president, Trump promises to hold his breath and hurl insults at Congress until they pass whatever legislation they don't want to pass. Reportedly he'll use the same strategy with recalcitrant foreign leaders.
August 17th, 2015 at 7:14:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Trump released an immigration "proposal."

It boils down to : kick everyone out, don't let anyone in.
Page 1 of 41234>