How to keep airline miles from expiring?

Page 1 of 212>
Poll
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (33.33%)
2 votes (66.66%)

3 members have voted

August 26th, 2015 at 3:01:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I got an Email from American Airlines warning me that my miles are going to expire soon and it suggested booking a trip to prevent that from happening. In another Email they sent an offer to buy miles. My question is, if I buy some miles, will that reset the clock on all my miles from expiring?

Coincidentally, I do need to book a trip to Germany but American is running very expensive there compared to other airlines. Speaking of which, there is one I've barely heard of before, Condor, that is about half the price of everybody else. If the adage is true that you get what you pay for, then I fear the worst on that airline. Has anyone flown them, and if so, what's your review?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 26th, 2015 at 3:15:36 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Call the airline's frequent flier program help number, there must be one.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 26th, 2015 at 3:36:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
Call the airline's frequent flier program help number, there must be one.

Customer support for any company is notorious for not knowing their own rules and just saying anything.
August 26th, 2015 at 3:50:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Customer support for any company is notorious for not knowing their own rules and just saying anything.

ok.

Hire a lawyer and get her to delve into the frequent flier terms and conditions.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 26th, 2015 at 4:17:31 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

They have a special desk regarding Frequent Flier program. Give them a call. Generally airlines have good people on the Frequent flier desk because theses are their best customers.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 26th, 2015 at 4:48:59 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
My question is, if I buy some miles, will that reset the clock on all my miles from expiring?

Yes. And usually when you buy, gift, or transfer miles they'll show up in your account within 24 hours.

If you have a month or 2 to spare, there are cheaper options:

1) Shop online at an American Airlines branded website called www.aadvantageeshopping.com Use that portal to click through to riteaid.com or walmart.com or officedepot.com and make a simple household purchase that you'd buy anyway (toothpaste, soap, laundry detergent, ink cartridge, etc.) It's an easy way to earn miles, but it might take a few weeks to post to your account which might not help your expiration problem.

2) Go out to dinner. But before going out to dinner, sign up for American Airlines' dining program and visit a restaurant on their list a thttps://aa.rewardsnetwork.com/ You'll have to register a credit card, and then when you use that same credit card at the restaurant, you'll automatically earn miles. Again it might take a few weeks for the miles to post to your account.
August 26th, 2015 at 9:13:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: reno
If you have a month or 2 to spare, there are cheaper options:...

Thank you very good reply and I didn't even have to hire an attorney.

Actually, I found out that most of my miles, about 30,000 of them already did expire. It isn't worth a big full to save the 7,000 left.
August 26th, 2015 at 9:55:40 PM permalink
reno
It isn't worth a big full to save the 7,000 left.

Using this June 2015 chart from Consumer Reports, American Airlines Aadvantage miles are worth about 1 cent each for domestic travel, (depending on the route). For international flights, you get more bang for the buck, about 1.7 cents per mile.

Needless to say, for international flights you'll need a lot more than 7,000 miles.
August 27th, 2015 at 7:12:28 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I guess AA customers weren't vocal enough. Air Canada was going to have their miles expire but after a major push back my their customers you only need to earn at least 1 mile each year to maintain your points. This easy to do even without a flight just have a hotel stay or buy gas at the right station.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 27th, 2015 at 9:27:43 AM permalink
reno
Quote: kenarman
I guess AA customers weren't vocal enough.

The sad reality is that due to recent unfortunate changes at Delta & United, I'd say that American's frequent flier program is now the best of the legacy carriers.

In the old days, you'd earn "miles" based upon... miles. Fly from Los Angeles to London one-way on American and you'll still earn 5,440 miles. But now United & Delta distribute their "miles" based upon the price of the ticket. $1 = 5 miles. So if the cost of a one-way ticket from Los Angeles to London on United is $800, you'd only earn 4,000 "miles." (And no, you won't earn "miles" on taxes.)

There are certainly scenarios where Delta/United customers will come out ahead (for an expensive last-minute ticket on a short route from, say, Los Angeles to San Francisco) but overall I'd say American's program is usually a better value for budget travelers flying on the cheapest ticket.
Page 1 of 212>