Dream House

August 30th, 2015 at 3:03:48 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Dream House was the movie where during the filming Daniel Craig met,costarred with, fell in love and married Rachel Weisz in 2011. It was directed by Jim Sheridan , a six-time Academy Award nominee, costarred Naomi Watts (best actress Oscar nominee in 2003's 21 Grams). Rachel Weisz was nominated Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress The Constant Gardener. Daniel Craig is finishing his ten year run as James Bond.

Dream House was a spectacular commercial failure. The stars leveled angry criticism at the makers of the trailer for spoiling the movie. While I agree that the trailer went too far in revealing major plot points, it turns out that it didn't completely spoil the movie as I believed.

While the film is uneven in places, it really didn't deserve to get so trashed. It's not a bad view on Netflix
-
August 30th, 2015 at 3:27:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
The stars leveled angry criticism at the makers of the trailer for spoiling the movie. While I agree that the trailer went too far in revealing major plot points, it turns out that it didn't completely spoil the movie as I believed.
so who had a conflict of interest of some sort?
August 30th, 2015 at 7:32:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Spoiler alert. The same hitch-hiker that you see over and over on the cross country trip means that you died in an automobile accident at the beginning of the trip. When Twilight Zone adapted this radio play for TV twenty years later they made the driver a woman.

Quote: Fleastiff
so who had a conflict of interest of some sort?

Jim Sheridan's first movie had four Academy Award nominations and two wins . The only bad review (of 35) on rotten tomatoes was written 25 years after the premier when the BluRay DVD was released. The reviewer felt that the movie didn't live up to it's reputation. It also took 14 weeks to sell 2 million tickets.

I imagine that directors who work on that artistic caliber forget that with a $50 million budget, they have to have at least 4 million tickets sold in the first weekend. Most of these people will go based on the trailers and TV ads, not on the reviews.

Often trailer makers simply deceive. The most common deception is when writers and directors want to do bleak movies, but trailer makers try to make the film seem like a comedy. If they can trick enough people into going the first weekend, the film may make a profit.

So there is always an inherent conflict. Newspaper reporters have told me that they are not permitted input into their headlines. There is a special job to write headlines, and reporters aren't permitted to even know what the headline is going to be until the article is published.

The reveals in the trailer are subtle in the first minute, and after that they get increasingly explicit.
DON'T WATCH THE TRAILER IF YOU ARE GOING TO WATCH THE MOVIE.
August 30th, 2015 at 1:05:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Dream House was a TV show in the late
60's and for one season in the early 80's,
Bob Eubanks hosting. In the 60's show,
they won a house worth $40,000, which
is about $200K today. But that's deceptive.
In 1969, $40K would buy a heck of a lot
more house than $200K will today.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 30th, 2015 at 3:47:48 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Headlines are done by the rewrite desk. book authors usually have no control over title, cover art or anything.

However, most trailers don't "kill" a movie, so I would assume that massive "spoilers" in a trailer were not an accident but that someone wanted revenge of an economic sort or wanted to pressure the producer or director.
August 30th, 2015 at 5:03:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
However, most trailers don't "kill" a movie, so I would assume that massive "spoilers" in a trailer were not an accident but that someone wanted revenge of an economic sort or wanted to pressure the producer or director.

The director of Terminator, Genisys was very upset by this trailer, as he thought it destroyed the emotional impact of the spoiled scenes. Marketing felt that people thought the movie was re-boot and this trailer made it very clear it wasn't a reboot. The movie was a big let down at the box office. Whose fault was it?

I don't think the marketing team for Dream House was trying to kill the movie. Business and artists have different objectives. From a business point of view you have to get people into the theater, which to them means giving the maximum emotional impact in the trailer.

The big spoiler in the trailer where Daniel Craig says "That's me" . Someone watching the trailer might assume that happens in the first 15 minutes and is part of the setup. It's only when you are watching the film that you realize that it is in the midpoint of the movie, and it's a spoiler.

====================================================
This film trailer says "comic thriller" and relies on people knowing that Pierce Brosnan's film history
2002 Die Another Day James Bond
2001 The Tailor of Panama
1999 The Thomas Crown Affair
1997 Tomorrow Never Dies James Bond
1995 GoldenEye James Bond
1982-1987 Remington Steele (TV Series)

But the trailer is completely misleading. The scenes from the movie are totally out of context, and the emotional content is completely different in the movie. Probably some people felt duped by the trailer, while others didn't see the film at all because they had no idea what kind of movie it was.