Uber?

Page 1 of 811234>Last »
September 9th, 2015 at 10:01:10 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Living in Las Vegas there has been a lot of controversy that initialy the state would not allow Uber in Nevada. Recently that was reversed and Uber will start up in the next month or two. Clearly the taxi companies are fighting it because they don't want competition. Now I understand why.

I spent Labor Day weekend in San Diego and Del Mar with some friends and we did not rent a car like we usually do. I saw a coupon online for your first Uber trip for free up to $30. Our first day using it we went from downtown San Diego to the Catamaran hotel on Mission Bay. I went to my Uber app and requested a car to pick us up at the hotel. The app report it would take two minutes and Blue Honda Accord with a driver name "Eddie" would pick us up. It was there in one minute.

We used Uber approximately 10 times over the weekend and we longest we waited was three minutes. Each and every one of the drivers were personable and appeared to actually enjoy their "job". BTW, six of our rides were free from sign up promos and refer a friend promos.

One of the guys I was with is interested in driving for Uber so he questioned every driver about everything. It turns out they wave no set work schedules and are officially "working" when they turn the Uber app on and are done "Working" when they turn it off. The drivers get 80% of the fee and it is deposited in their accounts once a week.

When we flew back to Vegas we got a taxi to our house and asked the taxi driver about Uber. He said he can't wait because he only gets 30% of the fare in the taxi and he will start with Uber the first day it goes live.

I can't give Uber high enough praise.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 9th, 2015 at 11:12:56 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: DRich
I can't give Uber high enough praise.

I agree 100%. I used Uber twice on my recent trip to Seattle and have shared rides in LA and Sydney. The drivers were always there within a couple minutes in nice clean cars. There is also no guessing game about tips. Nothing to even sign.

If the Vegas taxis lose business to Uber -- they deserve it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 9th, 2015 at 11:25:46 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
What kind of vehicles do you find yourself mostly receiving?

All this talk about cheapness has me thinking you're mostly getting econo-boxes. Has any of them been a sedan / saloon, or SUV / truck?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 9th, 2015 at 11:52:31 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face

All this talk about cheapness has me thinking you're mostly getting econo-boxes. Has any of them been a sedan / saloon, or SUV / truck?

In Mexico there are at least two different types of Uber service. One uses nicer/higher-end cars than the other.

I've never had occasion to use it, but I have the app in my phone just in case.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 9th, 2015 at 11:57:39 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face

Do the research and you'll see Uber is
a minimum wage job that allows you
to destroy your own vehicle in the
process. I posted an article about it
somewhere in this thread.

It's all the hidden costs of maintaining
your vehicle that nobody talks about. I
had a cab co, the vehicles were my
biggest expense. Plus I had to pay for
the gas, just like Uber drivers do. In the
end, before taxes, it's about a $9 an hour
job.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 9th, 2015 at 12:38:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Face may have an advantage being his own mechanic.

I certainly wouldn't care if a truck showed up -- especially in a couple minutes. I can't remember the last time I called a taxi, and it didn't take at least 20 mins or more.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 9th, 2015 at 12:39:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Actually, one time, I called a taxi and I needed to throw my bicycle in the back. A truck would have been perfect.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 9th, 2015 at 12:40:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

It's all the hidden costs of maintaining
your vehicle that nobody talks about. I
had a cab co, the vehicles were my
biggest expense. Plus I had to pay for
the gas, just like Uber drivers do. In the
end, before taxes, it's about a $9 an hour
job.

A huge savings is not having to buy or rent a medallion. That is often six figures.
The President is a fink.
September 9th, 2015 at 12:41:38 PM permalink
rxwine
The only disadvantage might be if you're running a big V8. Not much savings on gas.
September 9th, 2015 at 12:43:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Although maybe Face could convert to fried chicken grease as fuel.
Page 1 of 811234>Last »