1 vote (10%)
2 votes (20%)
2 votes (20%)

10 members have voted

October 8th, 2015 at 8:41:53 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
You're going up a floor and there is an escalator and stairs right in front of you. Which do you take and why?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 8th, 2015 at 8:56:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Wizard
You're going up a floor and there is an escalator and stairs right in front of you. Which do you take and why?

I enjoy escalators. My mom always took an elevator because she was afraid of escalators. I don't know if there was a specific reason.

While they still cause trauma, I think there were more issues with people losing their foot or something on earlier versions. Maybe she had a friend lose something.

However, there is nothing like the thrill when an elevator lurches or drops unexpectedly. I mean, if you enjoy that.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 8th, 2015 at 9:05:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Moving stairs are far more fun than
stationary stairs. This is the Wheaton
Station escalator and is the longest
in the Western Hemisphere at 270'.

(check the video in the post after this)

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 8th, 2015 at 9:16:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Can the Wiz run up Wheaton? This guy said
it was a killer.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 8th, 2015 at 9:27:13 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
The property owner went to alot of trouble to put in an escalator. To show my appreciation, I use it. Note that going down is a different story, and I often use the stairs for the time savings.
October 8th, 2015 at 9:46:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Mayor Bloomberg felt that buildings were designed in NYC to discourage the use of stairs. While obviously they have to be available in case of fire, they are often uninviting and dirty. While you may see a sign pointing to the stairs, you often cannot see the stairs or even the doorway from the lobby.

He proposed a law that would require new and renovated buildings to provide visible access to stairwells and to post signs encouraging people to use stairs instead of standing in an elevator. A second proposed law would change city building codes to allow stairwells to remain open at all times — as long as they are outfitted with special mechanisms to close the doors in case of fire.

But I seldom see escalators and stairs side by side outside of transit stations.

An initiative to encourage people to use the stairs in Sweden has been copied in several countries
October 8th, 2015 at 9:48:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I think I'm going to quit joking around about running up escalators in the wrong direction. At the last WoV meet-up Miplet showed us his injury from his run on the Palazzo escalator, which was five or six months before at the WoV spring fling. He was stoic about it at the time. I recall him tripping but got right back up. It probably hurt like hell but he got back up and kept at it. Anyway, I'm not going to glorify that any longer.
October 8th, 2015 at 9:51:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
He proposed a law that would require new and renovated buildings to provide visible access to stairwells and to post signs encouraging people to use stairs instead of standing in an elevator. A second proposed law would change city building codes to allow stairwells to remain open at all times — as long as they are outfitted with special mechanisms to close the doors in case of fire.

I agree 100%! One complaint I have is that Vegas hotel towers discourage taking stairs with signage about alarms going off (I'm not sure if they really mean it). I hate waiting for elevators and appreciate the opportunity to get some exercise.

Funny how people in this country will drive to a health club, pay money to get in, only to climb stairs on a machine. I bet most of these people will then take the escalator, when given the choice, outside of the gym.
October 8th, 2015 at 10:28:47 PM permalink
Evenbob

Funny how people in this country will drive to a health club, pay money to get in, only to climb stairs on a machine. I bet most of these people will then take the escalator, when given the choice, outside of the gym.

Long stairs more than 2-3 stories are
not that easy to find outside a city.
Even the big airport hotels are only
2-3 high. You live in a city with lots
of high stairs, most people who go
to gyms live in suburbs where there
are none. I would have to drive 14 miles
to get downtown where a few 10-12
story buildings still exist. Not worth it.
October 8th, 2015 at 11:52:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
I think I'm going to quit joking around about running up escalators in the wrong direction. .

I would be afraid of things like this
happening. The woman in the electric
cart is the best, I actually LOL. Or
in the 2nd video, two senior citizens
running up. I would be one of those
guys. I LOL'd at them also.

Page 1 of 212>