No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (100%)

1 member has voted

October 9th, 2015 at 11:48:01 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
On NBC's new show, "The Player", the main character, a former Special Ops, Army Ranger, Delta Force, etc. kind of guy is evaluating a scenario where a sniper kills someone from 800 - 1,000 meters away. He states, matter of factly, "only 40 individuals in the world could make that shot".

Actually, I think lots of people could make that shot. I think that even people without special training could make that shot.

Given the proper equipment, and a competent spotter, could you hit a target 1,000 meters away?
October 9th, 2015 at 11:58:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
Given the proper equipment, and a competent spotter, could you hit a target 1,000 meters away?

With a Phoenix missile, I might have a 50/50 chance.

I once missed all ten shots from about 20 meters away using a .22 rifle. I mean not only did I miss the "vital" parts of the target, I missed the target altogether.

But I did work the bolt action ten times and all the rounds fired. There's that.

To answer your question, nothing on TV or the movies ought to be taken seriously. Every army in the world runs a sniper school. One figures there are plenty of able snipers.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 9th, 2015 at 12:17:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quigley Down Under is a decent sniper movie.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 9th, 2015 at 12:34:16 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Ayecarumba

Depends on your definition of "equipment".

They have scopes now that make a miss all but impossible. It tracks range, humidity, wind, barrel age, Coreiolis effect, everything. Using it, guys are hitting at 3,000yds. A 12yr old could hit using one of those.

Assuming an analog gun, still, way more than 40 people can and have made those shots. Just go to YouTube and you'll find thousands. I've seen a guy shoot a Mosin with iron sights and hit people sized targets at 1,000yds. I can't do it, but it ain't impossible.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.