2 votes (66.66%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (33.33%)
1 vote (33.33%)

3 members have voted

October 23rd, 2015 at 3:26:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Mythbusters will go off the air either after this season or sometime next season (reports are vague and mysterious).

I've been following the show since it premiered and overall have enjoyed it a lot. There is much to criticize about it, of course, but in general they were fair and thorough in their testing.

IMO they began to decline a bit when they started testing "movie myths." Come, now. Most of them are self-evidently Hollywood hyperbole and exaggeration. A little of it was ok, like testing whether you can stop an RPG warhead with a bullet (answer: you can detonate it if you hit it with a bullet, but the shaped charge will still throw a jet of molten metal straight at you), but overall it felt more and more like time wasted. Much of the Bond special was really tediously waiting until the myth was disproved. The Star wars special, the video game special (really) and the Indiana Jones special were mere chances to let Adam play his favorite roles (cute, but not why I watch).

I'd say I'll miss the show, but the fact is I've been missing it for the past two seasons or so.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 23rd, 2015 at 3:51:06 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I'm still not clear why they fired all the young folks.
October 23rd, 2015 at 4:03:31 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Ayecarumba
I'm still not clear why they fired all the young folks.

Jealous? Towards the end Cary and crew usually had the most visually spectacular myths.
October 23rd, 2015 at 9:23:56 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I don't think they ever realized that the show was nothing but a presentation framework for that artist/sculptor who simply loved blowing things up.
October 24th, 2015 at 9:15:23 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I enjoyed it for about the first four years but then I slowly quit watching and I am not sure why. The premise is great and was executed well when it seemed like a small low rate production. When they started adding more people I think it lost some appeal.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 26th, 2015 at 9:10:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
I enjoyed it for about the first four years but then I slowly quit watching and I am not sure why. The premise is great and was executed well when it seemed like a small low rate production. When they started adding more people I think it lost some appeal.

I liked the "build team" at first (BTW, Cary was there from the start, but working mostly behind the scenes and without a speaking role). Having Adam or Jamie "supervise" their tests seemed a bit off, but it was good to have them all working together at least from time to time.

Later on it became a show with two sets of hosts. Adam and Jamie on one set, Cary, Tory and Grant in the other. Each working with complete independence from the other. Even when an ep had a theme, their tests were completely separate. That wasn't a good idea. Worse yet when the "build team" got more spectacular myths to test. I mean, they'd be blowing up propane tanks, while Jamie and Adam were trying to bounce a bullet 360 degrees.
October 28th, 2015 at 8:28:34 AM permalink
Nareed
They never got to test the dice control myth :(