Poll
1 vote (25%)
1 vote (25%)
2 votes (50%)

4 members have voted

October 31st, 2015 at 2:21:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Face - wow - you really keep up with this stuff. Very technical detail.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 31st, 2015 at 7:17:17 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: petroglyph

I have been watching a new documentary type show on Rome. I guess killing is just what we do. To pretend that we are different then animals is just the story put out by the churches/pols, so they get their cut. The sooner we get back to cannibalism the sooner the price of beef will drop. Meat is meat, sex is sex even if it's with a cow. Things are what they are, and nothing else. Any other meaning attributed to what things intrinsically are, is for someone's benefit.

I don't know why most people value human life so highly and differently from animals. If a hundred million random people were killed tomorrow I think it would have very little impact on the future of the human race. That would still leave about 7.2 billion people to carry on.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 31st, 2015 at 10:28:58 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: DRich
I don't know why most people value human life so highly and differently from animals.
Now there is some truthiness right there. How many people would we really trade places with when the reaper comes to collect? Forty thousand children die per day, 18k of them by starvation. I'm eating really well.

We all have our inner circle of people that we "care" about. But why and to what extent? Most people even recover from the death of a loved one pretty quickly, for some it is a relief.

So why does it matter if thousands get killed half a world away, as long as it doesn't blowback to my neighborhood? And if some nefarious character slips across the border with an rpg and hits a refinery, and kills a dozen workers, how does that really effect my life, other then a bullet point to talk about how horrible it was at the coffee klatch? Truthfully it doesn't. But we don't hear that truth on the campaign trail.

I don't want people to kill each other in the Congo, but it really doesn't matter. How are we supposed to, in our minds separate the difference between, a Hollywood production and an investigative report filming conflict in a foreign place? We read the OB's, and are glad our name isn't in them.

When we speak with others and say "did you hear old so and so passed", deep down we are glad it wasn't us. We are hard wired for survival, and I think assigning any relevance to others [especially strangers] deaths, is just a sigh of relief. In the digital age with news 24/7, we are immune from deaths, especially in country's we didn't know existed. Life and death lose there relevance as the distance increases beyond our ability to throw a stone. We have been reduced to ones and zero's.

Quote:
If a hundred million random people were killed tomorrow I think it would have very little impact on the future of the human race.
It would actually be good for the planet. If they were all Americans it would help to shore up Social Security.
Quote:
That would still leave about 7.2 billion people to carry on.
I believe the UN and the Georgia guide stones suggest just leaving a few million alive, is desirable. Bill Gates is pro population control, 7.2 billion still leaves a lot of breeders.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 31st, 2015 at 7:20:38 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: odiousgambit
Face - wow - you really keep up with this stuff. Very technical detail.

Oh god, don't get me going =)

And don't be too impressed. Probably half of this stuff comes from combat flight sims. Video games. It's funny, but they are crazy good. I have an actual manual for the A-10 just so I can properly operate the sim, as they're that in depth. Like, takes me 20 minutes and a 42 step procedure just to get in the thing and turn it on (the simulated aircraft, not my gaming rig =p). I guess it's sort of a hodge podge. Some comes from the game itself, and then there's a whole bunch of studying necessary to play the game correctly, which leads me down interesting paths that I carry on with for learning's sake, and then the actual war stuff on TV... I'm into it. I know some stuff. If the war pops off and the pilots defect, I bet I could be on sorties within a week ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 4 of 4<1234