Germany

Page 2 of 11<12345>Last »
October 29th, 2015 at 7:33:09 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Sage restaurant at Aria has 10 different Absinithe. I remember a few years ago it became legal to sell the "real" absinthe in Las Vegas.

I have tried a few at Aria and can say it didn't seem to have any effect on me other than typical alcohol. They do some really nice presentations with it and I recommend trying it when you are at Aria.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 29th, 2015 at 8:51:49 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'll be sure to try an Absinthe my next time at Sage, which could be a while.

Since AZD asked about cars I'll post these Trabant pictures next.

That is the Brandenburg Gate at the top center of the picture. The U.S. Embassy is the building directly across.

The Trabant is an East German made car and a much loved and hated symbol of former East Germany. From what I learned from a visit to the DDR (East Germany) Museum, that they were pretty much the only car available in East Germany and were notoriously unreliable. Spare parts were hard to come by and owners generally took care of most engine repairs on their kitchen table. They also did not have a gas gauge so owners had to go off the odometer to predict when they would run out of gas.

When I was taking pictures of the Brandenburg gate I noticed one parked nearby. I approached to take a picture and noticed somebody inside. He came out and introduced himself as "Trabi Andi" and said he accepted donations for some kid's charity in exchange for photo opportunities with the car. Unlike most Germans, he was very sociable and friendly.

He went onto say that only only was his car a Trabi but the rare "deluxe" model with air conditioning and some other nicities that I forget. He also said he would be doing a tour with it of three East Germany museums in the US in 2016, in LA, Dallas, and Miami.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 29th, 2015 at 9:10:32 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
He went onto say that only only was his car a Trabi but the rare "deluxe" model with air conditioning and some other nicities that I forget.

I think that one had a spare hamster in the trunk, should the one in the "engine" compartment die and need to be replaced ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 29th, 2015 at 9:57:17 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Volkswagens didn't get gas gauges until the late 50's or early 60's. The had a switch you could throw when you ran out of gas. Some people thought it was a small spare tank. All it actually did is switch you to an intake that was lower in the gas tank. If you forgot to put the switch back when you filled you would empty the tank and wouldn't have the extra gallon or so of fuel. Not that I would have ever been so stupid ;-)
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 29th, 2015 at 9:58:51 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: kenarman
Volkswagens didn't get gas gauges until the late 50's or early 60's. The had a switch you could throw when you ran out of gas. Some people thought it was a small spare tank. All it actually did is switch you to an intake that was lower in the gas tank. If you forgot to put the switch back when you filled you would empty the tank and wouldn't have the extra gallon or so of fuel. Not that I would have ever been so stupid ;-)

I remember that. When I was a kid we drove around a VW bug and recall using the "emergency tank" a few times. This is the first I heard it wasn't really a separate tank.
October 29th, 2015 at 10:03:23 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: kenarman

Many of my motorcycles I had also had the switch for reserve fuel. Maybe they still do.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 29th, 2015 at 10:20:49 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

He went onto say that only only was his car a Trabi but the rare "deluxe" model with air conditioning and some other nicities that I forget.

I absolutely love it =D A lot of wonky stuff came from the Bloc. I get a kick out of seeing what they thought were upgrades. Things like aluminum drum brakes XD Or a car with no trim and steel stamp wheels being called a "Deluxe". But hey! It does have some bespoke rallye headlights!

Quote: DRich
Many of my motorcycles I had also had the switch for reserve fuel. Maybe they still do.

Most still do, as well as all ATV / wheeler / side by sides. I don't think Pop's new Goldwing has one, but that thing's got so many bells and whistles, it can probably sense dehydration through the hand grips and dispatch a service crew via satellite to your direct location with some hydration =p

I think fuel injection killed the petcock. Well, that and actual fuel gauges. But yes, it simply accessed the very bottom of your one fuel tank. It didn't access a spare.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 29th, 2015 at 12:04:15 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89

Were these steins of beer the "standard" size? It looks like a liter.

Is "Oktoberfest" actually a thing in Germany, or is it a made in America excuse to listen to OomPaPa bands and drink to excess?
October 29th, 2015 at 12:22:00 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
Were these steins of beer the "standard" size? It looks like a liter.

Those glasses pictured were definitely large size glasses. Menus almost always indicate the number of liters for each size.

Quote:
Is "Oktoberfest" actually a thing in Germany, or is it a made in America excuse to listen to OomPaPa bands and drink to excess?

No, it is a real thing, but only popular in Bavaria (where Munich is) and most of it is in September. I was a little late and too far north to enjoy that. The story is that it was some party the Bavarian king did every year. Food and customs in Germany vary quite a bit according to the state you're in.
October 29th, 2015 at 12:58:04 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Thanks Wizard! I am looking forward to reading about more of your adventures.
Page 2 of 11<12345>Last »