Enhanced Over the Air Television

November 10th, 2015 at 9:51:20 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00OLDNNRO
https://www.tablotv.com/

Some companies are selling products to enhance over the air (OTA) television viewing or to combine it more seamlessly with streaming video from Netflix or other sources. Tablo concentrates on allowing people to watch OTA on tablets, and optionally to record shows with a DVR. Tivo-OTA concentrates on recording shows, but secondarily to watch them on tablets. Both function as media boxes so you can also tune in Netflix (although there are dozens of devices that do that cheaper).

Tablo is about $200, but you must spend another $100 if you want a disk drive to record shows. TiVo-OTA is usually $300.

Although most network shows are available on websites, limitations include the restriction to only 5 shows and inability to skip commercials. A personal DVR could let you record the whole season and not have to wait until next year when they are on Netflix. Also time shifting sports events (watch Sunday afternoon game on Sunday night).

I believe there are some consumers who don't like TV's to be prominently displayed, nor do they want to run coaxial cable through an older house where it can't be buried in the wall. They want to watch TV on tablets which can be put away. I suppose this is group is a small subset, as a 20" tablet often costs as much as a low end 55" traditional TV.

Anyone here using one of these devices?
November 10th, 2015 at 3:36:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

Anyone here using one of these devices?

I am just using Roku and watch nothing but maybe "Shark Tank" when I can. You may be onto something with the big TVs. I love my 52" but it is a huge 2002 model. I can see the kids preferring to just watch on their lap.
The President is a fink.
November 10th, 2015 at 3:58:09 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I assume most old houses that could have coaxial cable installed, would have already done so 30 or more years ago. I suspect there are more houses with, than without, nowadays.

Tablet watching, while convenient, is also, literally, a pain in the neck. Holding the thing to view it puts tension on your neck, shoulders, arms and hands. You need to be close to a plug when the battery runs down, and the speakers on most are inadequate.

I think there is a growth opportunity for La-Z-Boy recliner companies to build in tablet holders and Bluetooth stereo speakers so folks can go "hands free".
November 10th, 2015 at 5:58:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
I am just using Roku and watch nothing but maybe "Shark Tank" when I can.

But to watch Shark Tank, I presume you just have an antenna, and you watch it when it is broadcast. Or do you watch it on ABC.com?

But you don't use an Over the Air DVR to record it.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ff547603107e4e869e924e25475ba1a0/time-warner-cable-plans-tv-internet
Time warner cable is in beta test to try and lure people likeyou back to cable. You may not have TWC, but the other cable companies are likely to follow suit.

Quote: AZDuffman
You may be onto something with the big TVs. I love my 52" but it is a huge 2002 model. I can see the kids preferring to just watch on their lap.

I think kids are just getting used to personal screens. But I think there is a high brow group of women (or gay men) who think TVs are ugly. That's why there is a market for TV's that hide themselves when you are done with them.

These "hidden TVs" are very expensive. It would be much cheaper to simply watch TV on a tablet and put the tablet away.
November 10th, 2015 at 6:15:02 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
These "hidden TVs" are very expensive. It would be much cheaper to simply watch TV on a tablet and put the tablet away.

I don't know. It seems a 60" 4K tablet would be a wee bit hard to just put away ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 10th, 2015 at 6:47:47 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The biggest device that advertises itself as a tablet has a 24" diameter.

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-envy-rove-20/
HP sells a more expensive 20" tablet

Insignia sells a 55" TV with a built in Roku streaming system for $550, so I have no idea why someone who spend $1000 on a 20" tablet that can double as a TV (or a computer). It makes much more sense to me to buy two devices.

But I also have no idea why someone would spend $3000 on a cabinet that hides the TV

What makes some sense to me is that if I had a small city apartment, I like the idea of spending $220 on a 11 pound, 32" television with all the streaming built in so that you only need to plug it in, then you can put it in the closet when you have guests and you are not watching TV.