Could arithmetic ever be forgotten?

November 11th, 2015 at 7:15:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Asimov wrote a story in the 50s called "The Feeling of Power." The central premise was that people have thoroughly forgotten how to do basic arithmetic (addition, substraction, multiplication, division and square roots), because everyone carries a calculator at all times.

Now, this is perfectly possible at an individual level. I've even found myself forgetting phone numbers, because 99% of the time the cell phone dials them for me. But I don't think it's possible for an entire planet full of people to completely forget something that is used frequently. Obsolete knowledge does get forgotten, though not as completely as one might think. For example, how do you make a bone needle? Who cares, right? Why would you want to? Yet there are people, like anthropologists, who do know.

In Asimov's story arithmetic is lost, but math isn't. In fact, one main character is a mathematician. no, I can see how you can do higher math without arithmetic, or with all arithmetical work done by a calculator or computer. An expression like X=+/-SQR(A^3*C^2)/Z can be manipulated any number of ways without ever doing even a simple addition. But:

1) You'd know division id the opposite operation of multiplication, and 2) if you need some simple arithmetical result for some reason, it's far easier to do it right there on paper or even in your head than to reach for a calculator.

IT's still a good story, though.

Incidentally, when someone rediscovers how to do very basic arithmetic without a calculator, the "new" science gets called "Graphitics," because it's written down on paper.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 11th, 2015 at 12:46:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If all the computer makers and programmers died, my fancy computer would eventually be no more than a paperweight one day with no replacement in sight.

Something like that.

Because my rudimentary knowledge of computers, and Visual Basic is not going to get me very far in bringing it back.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 11th, 2015 at 1:10:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
If all the computer makers and programmers died, my fancy computer would eventually be no more than a paperweight one day with no replacement in sight.

So we'd be stuck using ever more elaborate cell phones and tablets? ;)
November 11th, 2015 at 6:37:23 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
My opinion is arithmetic should still be taught, even though you can buy a calculator for $2. The kind of skills you learn in math are helpful in all the sciences. Plus, sometimes you have to do math in your head in a pinch. I would not let students use calculators in math class until at least algebra, and then only a simple one.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 12th, 2015 at 3:11:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Plus, sometimes you have to do math in your head in a pinch.

I taught classes in Calculus and Differential Equations to very bright 11th and 12th graders, but I also had remedial classes. So I would be doing Integration by parts one second and fractions ten minutes later.

I always remember a problem of find the difference between 8 1/3 - 4 2/3. I told the kids I always did problems like this in the same way you make change. Starting with 4 2/3 you need to add 1/3 to make 5, then you need to 3 to make 8, then you need to add 1/3 to make 8 1/3. So the difference was 3 2/3. One 17 year old girl just looked at me and said, what are you talking about? I then realized that no one in the room had ever "made change".

Have you ever been in a place when the cash registers go down? Nobody under the age of 50 can "make change".
November 12th, 2015 at 3:34:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
My opinion is arithmetic should still be taught, even though you can buy a calculator for $2. The kind of skills you learn in math are helpful in all the sciences. Plus, sometimes you have to do math in your head in a pinch. I would not let students use calculators in math class until at least algebra, and then only a simple one.

Agree totally here. When I was coming up calculators were becoming affordable and we wished we could use them, instead we had to learn how to "do math." Doing it in my head has saved me more than one time. One other thing, though. When you can do it manually while those around you cannot, you gain a real credibility.

Ever have someone say with awe. "you did that in your head/without a calculator?" I'm not talking "Rain Man" stuff. I am talking calculating a tip.
The President is a fink.
November 12th, 2015 at 4:51:03 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Doing math in your head and on paper is good for your brain health. I seldom use a calculator for that reason.
November 12th, 2015 at 7:47:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Have you ever been in a place when the cash registers go down? Nobody under the age of 50 can "make change".

They could easily do it with a $2 calculator :)

I sometimes need to convert percentages to decimal form (ie 3%=0.97) for use in division to determine profit amounts. I use a calculator sometimes to check I have the right number. Why? Because it turned out one time that 3.47%<>0.9663
November 13th, 2015 at 7:49:29 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I just subtracted 8 - 4 = 4 and 1/3 - 2/3 to = - 1/3 and came up with 3 2/3. Nothing hard about that.

I don't equate it with making change.

Math in your head is very important of course when it comes to money.

For example, I need dishwasher pods. I can buy 90 for $18.99 or I can buy 40 for $8.99. What should I buy? What should the price be? Get the unit price, and then determine whether buying a higher number today offsets the odds of me finding these on a better sale later.

Or, should I buy gas at $.95/L Cdn or $2.63 USD/gallon and travel for 20 minutes and waste 30 minutes of my time? I can do that rough calculation in my head. Answer: no.
November 13th, 2015 at 8:35:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: boymimbo
For example, I need dishwasher pods. I can buy 90 for $18.99 or I can buy 40 for $8.99. What should I buy? What should the price be? Get the unit price, and then determine whether buying a higher number today offsets the odds of me finding these on a better sale later.

That's why since the 1990s cell phones have calculators built in.

Related, overheard at the office yesterday: "1,000 vs 10,000. hmm. that's like 100% more!"