This Hyena Was Cornered By A Pack Of Wild Dogs, But What It Does Next Is Genius

Page 1 of 212>
December 2nd, 2015 at 6:37:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Jumped in water until the dogs left

The title of this thread was a genuine headline.
December 2nd, 2015 at 7:15:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Dogs? What with the tails.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 2nd, 2015 at 9:15:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Dogs? What with the tails.

Yes, and they also only have 4 toes.

The tails are basically to help them when they are hunting. It makes it easy to quickly see where the rest of your pack is located in the brush. Their prey is almost always too large for just one dog to take down, so they have to coordinate their attack.

The "genius" move by the hyena seems to me less about intelligence, but who is the most desperate. The prospect of death concentrates his mind wonderfully.
December 2nd, 2015 at 9:32:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Does that breed of dog have a name? I
wonder if any have been domesticated.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 2nd, 2015 at 9:39:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 2nd, 2015 at 10:37:02 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Does that breed of dog have a name? I
wonder if any have been domesticated.

Basenji's were bred from stock that originated in central Africa. It is one of 9 breeds that the AKC used to "ancient breeds" because they were believed to exist for more than 500 years. The AKC does not use the term any longer as it may not be scientifically accurate.

Domesticated dogs could be more than 30,000 years old, and have long been depicted in ancient. However the first identifiable "breed" is depicted on stoneware about 3000 years ago (a greyhound type dog). Most of the modern breeds have existed in the last 7 centuries.

The African wild dog was first written about 1700 years ago where it was thought to resemble both a wolf and leopard. The evolutionary process that created them is not well known, but I think the word "breed" refers only to domesticated dogs.

Although they are called "dogs" in reality the word is loosely used for many wild canids including wolves, dholes, jackals, coyotes, and many more.

Although many animals can be trained not to attack humans, the species is not considered domestic.
December 2nd, 2015 at 10:46:47 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Pacomartin

Jumped in water until the dogs left

The title of this thread was a genuine headline.

Better check your hard drive for unwanted cookies. These 'sponsored' teasers are notorious for dropping payloads on curious clickers. Next thing you know there are pop up ads for male enhancement pills all over your desktop.
December 2nd, 2015 at 11:14:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Ayecarumba
Better check your hard drive for unwanted cookies. These 'sponsored' teasers are notorious for dropping payloads on curious clickers. Next thing you know there are pop up ads for male enhancement pills all over your desktop.

Quote: Manage cookies

http://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/
By themselves, cookies pose no risk since they do not contain virus in any form nor do they spy on your PC content to compromise security. They are used to make online surfing faster and easier by make the sites you’ve visited remember who you are, like remembering you IP address or passwords, along with your own preferences such as when Amazon recommend a book or music CD similar to what you looked for in your last visit.

Are cookies really dangerous, or are they just annoying sometimes? I get tired of being shown ads over and over for something that I either looked up once, or I already bought.
December 3rd, 2015 at 12:25:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
None of the dogs pictured look anything like
the dogs attacking the hyena. Where is the
splendid coloring and the white tipped tail.
December 3rd, 2015 at 12:48:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
None of the dogs pictured look anything like the dogs attacking the hyena.

The Basenji is the closest domestic dog to the Wild African dog, but they are different species entirely. Basically the closest relative to the domestic dog is the gray wolf, and the second closest is the coyote. Despite the Wild African Dog being called a dog, it is actually a more distant relative to the domestic dog than the other two species.

Close relatives to domestic dog
  1. African wild dog
  2. Dhole
  3. Ethiopian wolf
  4. Coyote
  5. Gray wolf
  6. Dog
  7. Golden jackal
  8. Black-backed jackal
  9. Side-striped jackal

This animal is also called a "dog" (or a Bush dog), but it is even more distantly related to the domestic dog.
Page 1 of 212>