$100K to Clone a dog

December 31st, 2015 at 2:07:45 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Reference: http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/dec/26/dylan-boxer-cloning-laura-jacques-richard-remde

This British couple with their four dogs decided to clone the boxer 12 days after he died unexpectedly. A South Korean firm did it for only $100K per attempt. The first attempt was successful so they cloned a second dog (not clear if that cost another $100K). The previous record was 5 days after death. The couples also want to adopt the surrogate mothers of the two puppies.

I know that Pet Cemetary film is over 25 years old, but I always liked the book.
December 31st, 2015 at 3:21:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Crazy. What people miss is that while the dog is a genetic clone their personality will not for sure be the same. People need to learn dogs die and you get a new dog.
The President is a fink.
December 31st, 2015 at 4:16:43 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I wonder if they have the same problem today with clones as in the beginning - the animals would have some form of aging transferred in the copy and they didn't live as long IIRC.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 31st, 2015 at 4:50:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
Crazy. What people miss is that while the dog is a genetic clone their personality will not for sure be the same. People need to learn dogs die and you get a new dog.

The wife says she understands that it is not the same dog, but it was worth $100K for her to see the same dog face. Which you can clearly see from the photos is worth $100K. It's not like she has to go through all the trouble of falling in love with a Boxer with a different face.

So Boxer's have a lifespan of 10-12 years, while this two new clone dogs died of a heart attack at age 8 after being diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, then you can't say that the couple wasn't warned.

But the important thing is that if somebody would pay $100K for a dog, then someone will obviously pay $1 million to try it with a dead baby. If no developed country will let them set up a laboratory, then there is obviously some poor country that will take enough of a percentage to permit them to set up in that country.
December 31st, 2015 at 5:14:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
from http://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_dg_how_long_do_dogs_live

December 31st, 2015 at 8:32:21 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Having had boxer's, I know the attachment. Talk to boxer people, they get more attached than average. They are just a notch above other dogs. They have a spirit and are dedicated to their family's.

If someone is going to blow this kind of moolah on a canine, I'm glad it was Boxer's.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 31st, 2015 at 8:57:57 AM permalink
odiousgambit
What if the price came down to $10-20,000?

I think you'd have a lot of people doing it, if they aren't hearing that the clones die right away.

As for me, quite attached to a current dog, but in my upbringing, people would not spend much money trying to save a dog; they might take it to the vet, but surgery and all that? forget it. My wife and I are in agreement that we will not be much different than people in the past on this.

So I don't think we are going to be cloning.
December 31st, 2015 at 9:16:32 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Love is by nature fleeting. We only get so much time with each unique individual whom we love, until they or we die, and then it ends.

If we can make a replica of each individual, then they're no longer people or beloved pets, but mere commodities. This cheapens them and us, not to mention any love that may still remain.

A part of love is the grief that comes with the end. It's an awful, unpleasant part, but it wouldn't be so bad if the love were not so good. You do not mourn or grieve for complete strangers, do you?

Consider. if you can get a new, identical dog to replace your pet, how much would you care for the actual pet? If the dog gets sick and needs surgery, you'd be better off putting her down and spend the money on cloning rather than surgery. So you'd kill the dog you love because you love that dog so much you need to have her around all the time.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 31st, 2015 at 9:30:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
it just occurred to me that after seeing the news on this that Evenbob is saving up his money right now
December 31st, 2015 at 12:59:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I saw this story about a Red Panda that temporarily escaped a zoo, before being caught in a tree. I wonder if zoo's are going to arrange to have clone's made of their valuable animals.

They look like they are wearing coats.