Stockholm, Sweden to get 5G phones in 2018

Page 2 of 2<12
January 26th, 2016 at 2:34:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Dalex64
My phone is a Sony Ericsson z300a, approved 2 december 2005. My son's phone is a little newer than that, I don't know the model off the top of my head. I don't use it much, and it still has the original battery.

Listed as a 2G phone in phonescoop

Quote: Dalex64
The SIM card says cingular 3G, hopefully it will work with my next phone, because at&t has stopped offering their 10 cent a minute plan and is back to 25 cents a minute. I still have the 10 cent plan.

So you have a 2G phone with a 3G SIM card. It should work to simply transfer to a new phone.

Cingular became wholly owned by AT&T in December 2006 as a result of AT&T's acquisition of BellSouth. In January 2007, Cingular confirmed it would re-brand itself under the AT&T name.

I don't know if they will honor the grandfathered plans after the changeover. My father has a 20 minutes @ $5 month plan (25 cents per minute) with Verizon Prepaid with rollover. Although the per minute charge is high, he has 800 minutes banked so it seems stupid to change it.

Verizon Prepaid ended all the very low monthly cost plans in November. Their minimum entry for non smart phones like you have is now $15 a month for 300 minutes (or texts) with no rollover. They are starting at $30/month for a smartphone.

There are a lot of MVNOs that still have prices for very little. Several Sprint MVNOs will give you free minutes. https://ringplus.net/ will give you 125 free minutes per month just to listen to their ring back advertisements, but you need to find an old Sprint phone (or buy one). But the call quality is low because there is a latency delay.

MVNO Mobile virtual Network Operators are resellers of minutes, text and data from primary network operators. There are only four nationwide primary operators. Verizon and AT&T are descended corporately from Bell Telephone. T-Mobile is USA branch of German Deutche Telecomm. Sprint has been bought by Softbank (a Japanese company) and is always on the edge of bankruptcy. Softbank bought Sprint with the intentions of merging with T-Mobile, but the FCC killed that idea. Now they are stuck with a difficult network. All the best budget deals are on Sprint, but you have smaller network coverage.
Page 2 of 2<12