A religion so good you have to fool people into it?

February 11th, 2016 at 6:51:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Bad news from Neurologica:

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/the-purpose-of-academic-freedom-laws-is-to-promote-creationism/

But, you know, though Mexico has explicit separation of church and state, and though the constitution establishes education to be strictly secular (though private schools can teach religion in addition to the useful curriculum), I actually studied "creationism" in biology class.

There's nothing really odd about it. IN science it's common to learn of past mistakes and wrong theories and assumptions. So in chemistry we learned about things like phlogiston, Greek atomism, etc. And in biology we had an overview of creation myths from several cultures: Babylonian myths, Mayan myths, Hindu myths and of course the Hebrew myths in the Bible as well.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to require this in all biology classes. Seeing myths compared contrasted with others of their type, and being shown there is no evidence for any of them, greatly lessens the power of any one particular myth.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 11th, 2016 at 11:24:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't think the people promoting it would be happy unless their ideas are promoted as equally plausible, or else, I completely missed the point of why they keep taking this approach through different tactics. (refer to article for examples they give there).
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 11th, 2016 at 1:12:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I don't think the people promoting it would be happy unless their ideas are promoted as equally plausible, or else, I completely missed the point of why they keep taking this approach through different tactics. (refer to article for examples they give there).

Yes, of course that's what they want. But they can't really say so in the law.

It's like the city and state legislatures who like to start sessions with prayer. They can't discriminate between faiths. the Satanic Temple, no kidding, has taken down a few by demanding their right to offer an invocation at such times.

So when biology has to be open to teach creation myths, teach all the myths. See how the wingnut wing of the GOP likes it when children get taught the universe started when Amun Ra masturbated himself into existence.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 11th, 2016 at 1:58:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
For quite awhile these designs were a mystery.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?