​DONALD J. TRUMP RESPONSE TO THE POPE

Page 3 of 4<1234>
February 19th, 2016 at 12:10:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
Let's face it, the pope is everything the Republicans hate. He is a foreigner who left his country to move to a country where he has no income, gets free food, free housing, free travel. He is pretty much a freeloader.

I think they would have to hate many church heads on that basis. I think all church leaders work in the sense as getting paid for doing something.

Something doesn't have to be material just like experts on consulting are working, but perhaps are not getting paid producing material objects.

The free stuff is just part of the package offer to the paid person.

The churches only steal because they don't pay taxes, or they are the only ones free of tax tyranny depending how you look at it.

(now whether I agree with the business they run is another matter)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2016 at 12:15:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

Something doesn't have to be material just like experts on consulting are working, but perhaps are not getting paid producing material objects.

My brother in law is a minister and has
his own church. He works on Sat a few
hours writing the Sun sermon, spends
a few hours at church that day, and has
the rest of the week off. It's not a huge
mega church where he has to run it
every day. He fishes a lot and rides his
30 year old motorcycle around town in
the summer. He has to council married
people at times, but it's generally a pretty
cushy life.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 19th, 2016 at 12:49:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Also, Popes have automatic celebrity status -- which makes them valuable to the organization, so that "figurehead" of just showing up is part of their value.

No different than when celebrities get appearance fees depending on how A-list they are considered. Pope is definitely an A-lister.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2016 at 2:25:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: terapined

The Pope is a rock star in this country
"

Yeah, um, no.

"Since he became pope, Francis has been frustrating American conservatives. Last July, as Francis prepared to come to the United States, Gallup found that approval of him among Americans had fallen -- thanks in part to a steep decline in support among American conservatives. In 2014, 72 percent of conservatives supported Francis. Last year, that number dropped to 45 percent."
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 19th, 2016 at 3:11:34 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
Yeah, um, no.

"Since he became pope, Francis has been frustrating American conservatives. Last July, as Francis prepared to come to the United States, Gallup found that approval of him among Americans had fallen -- thanks in part to a steep decline in support among American conservatives. In 2014, 72 percent of conservatives supported Francis. Last year, that number dropped to 45 percent."

Typical EB
Ignores all the video evidence of all the rock star crowds and goes to the polls.
LOL
How did that Dewey Presidency work out for you?
How did President Rommney work out for you?
Keep em coming EB :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 19th, 2016 at 3:34:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
Let's face it, the pope is everything the Republicans hate. He is a foreigner who left his country to move to a country where he has no income, gets free food, free housing, free travel. He is pretty much a freeloader.

Uh, no. He is CEO of the Catholic Church.
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2016 at 3:41:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: terapined
Typical EB
Ignores all the video evidence of all the rock star crowds and goes to the polls.

45% is not very popular, I hate to break it
to you. Hardly rock star status.
February 19th, 2016 at 3:43:18 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Of all the people NOT to pick a fight with, the Pope would be on the top of any sensible politician's list.

Makes it that much more likely that Trump is just in this to kill the Republican party. And there are lots and lots of conservative Catholics, along with other conservatives who respect the Pope very much, who like him, and would choose him over Trump in a cage match, including Scalia. I truly think this was a very big misstep on Trump's part if he seriously wants to be President (still in doubt for me).
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 19th, 2016 at 3:56:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs
Of all the people NOT to pick a fight with, the Pope would be on the top of any sensible politician's list.

Actually, liberals will love it.
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2016 at 4:00:29 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
Actually, liberals will love it.

Well, yeah, but I was talking from a Republican voter's perspective. Anything that makes Trump weak, liberals will love and celebrate, I'm sure.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
Page 3 of 4<1234>