You Hear Shots

December 20th, 2012 at 10:57:06 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I have erased many, many replies and new posts, can't seem to say the right thing about this latest shooting.

Here is a contrbution,

http://live.wsj.com/video/tips-to-survive-a-random-gunman-attack/3052D079-1091-4086-A476-BE6DA966F748.html?mod=WSJ_article_outbrain&obref=obnetwork#!3052D079-1091-4086-A476-BE6DA966F748

wouldnt mind hearing from Face and others what they think of it. Let's assume in any discussion we are unarmed.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 21st, 2012 at 8:28:58 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: odiousgambit
Let's assume in any discussion we are unarmed.

Armed or unarmed, it plays out the same. No one's a hero, no one's Rambo. If you hear shots, the number one thing you do is GTFO. There was a good point in there, one I've experienced myself in that hunting incident I spoke of in "Fishing With Face". You hear shots, you freeze. If you hear shots where they're not supposed to be, you freeze even longer. "WTF was that?" That's trouble. Dont' do that. GTFO.

If you hear shots off in the distance, run the other way. If you hear shots close, run the other way. I was a sub 4.6 40 runner in high school. Couldn't do it again if you paid me, but if I hear shots, I'd put 17yr old Face to shame.

If the gunner's targeted your group, make yourself hard to hit. Keep your head low. If at all possible, never run parallel to the shooter. It's as easy to hit a target running straight away as it is if the target were standing still. Run as perpendicular to the shooter as possible. Make him make pull off an impossible shot.

If you can't get out, hide. There's almost always an "out" from every room, but if not, hide, barricade, and get quiet.

The one thing I didn't like about that video was the girls pushing at the gunner in the door with chairs. Really? I'm not trained for this kind of stuff, but I'd think they'd all be dead. In any barricade scenario, I'd be making sure I didn't block my own possibility of offense. If in a room I was trapped in, the door would be locked and I'd be only as far from the door as it'd take to not be visible from the outside. If he breaks in, BUM RUSH. You fight or you die.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 22nd, 2012 at 12:19:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Face
The one thing I didn't like about that video was the girls pushing at the gunner in the door with chairs. Really? I'm not trained for this kind of stuff, but I'd think they'd all be dead. In any barricade scenario, I'd be making sure I didn't block my own possibility of offense. If in a room I was trapped in, the door would be locked and I'd be only as far from the door as it'd take to not be visible from the outside. If he breaks in, BUM RUSH. You fight or you die.

somehow I missed that, will look again. But one thing comes to mind: a chair's back pushed up hard against a doorknob makes it impossible to open the door unless enough force is applied to break either the chair or the doorknob. The wimps like this last one and the dude at Virginia Tech ain't doing that. It would be a better use of a chair.

BTW I think it is a huge missed opportunity when the President fails to note what a cowardly thing this guy did. We have to remember that amongst all the stunned shock the nation feels some sick dude is going, "hey, cool!"
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 22nd, 2012 at 11:38:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
It doesn't always matter what as much as when.

In an upscale mall there can be a gang shooting or something and most of the black kids are on the ground and behind barricades while the white kids are all standing up looking around for the fire crackers or something.
December 22nd, 2012 at 12:13:32 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
somehow I missed that, will look again. But one thing comes to mind: a chair's back pushed up hard against a doorknob makes it impossible to open the door unless enough force is applied to break either the chair or the doorknob.

Agreed, but this was just curtains on either side with an opening in the middle, substituting for walls and an open door. When the "gunman" poked inside, they pushed back at him with a pile of chairs.

No. Do that and you're dead. If the door's opened, BUM RUSH. Fight or die.

BTW I think it is a huge missed opportunity when the President fails to note what a cowardly thing this guy did. We have to remember that amongst all the stunned shock the nation feels some sick dude is going, "hey, cool!"

+1
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.