stealing the nomination from Trump

Page 2 of 10<12345>Last »
April 7th, 2016 at 8:18:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
(All of these links are to a right-wing website; this isn't leftist propaganda.)

But he's openly a bigot now, and that means the GOP base will be able to come out of the closet en-masse if their candidate is elected.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 7th, 2016 at 8:40:15 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote:
So, there is something wrong with being a real estate developer? I'll take that over Hillary's influence peddling via paid speeches based on her husband's name any day.

Nothing, but he isn't really a real estate developer any more. He's a salesman and brand now, with some suspect business practices. He only plays for team Trump.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 7th, 2016 at 8:46:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Here is an interesting scenario.

Very. Could you novelize that and rush into print by October? It might be a hit.
BTW, before running as an independent, Trump would sue.

The Democratic candidate needs 2,382 delegates to Win.
Delegates Won - Hillary 1280 , Bernie 1030 (250 down)
Superdelegates - Hillary 469, Bernie 31 (438 down)

As there are 1661 delegates left, I would write Bernie as catching up and passing Hillary on June 7 where 694 delegates are decided (495 in California).

The idea of Bernie as "Mr Smith" captures the imagination of Californians

The problem with the story is that Bernie Sanders has sworn not to run as an independent. I need a good hook that will change his mind. I figure that if Trump runs as an independent, then a wide array of people will also run. Everyone from Kardashians to Sean Combs will run. Michelle will get a big write in campaign. Possibly Bloomberg will run. I just don't think any of them will hurt Hillary enough if Sanders doesn't run.

The independent candidates don't have to win, but they have to get enough states so that nobody wins the majority. That will throw it into the House which must choose among the top 3 (by electoral college vote).

April 7th, 2016 at 9:10:14 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Well, I don't want to put words in Beachbumbabs' mouth, but his real estate holdings aren't the problem with his business record.

Trump University was mostly a scam.

His vitamin business was mostly a scam.

Trump routinely hired undocumented illegal aliens to work on his business projects.

And then there's Trump's abuse of imminent domain and disdain for private property rights both in the U.S. and Scotland.

(All of these links are to a right-wing website; this isn't leftist propaganda.)

Never going to release his tax returns before the election is over.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 7th, 2016 at 9:29:18 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Regarding independent candidates
How hard is it to get on the ballot for all 50 states
I remember back in the day when John Anderson ran as an independent
He had a hard time getting on all 50 ballots
I wonder if the process is still difficult
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 7th, 2016 at 10:50:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
The problem with the story is that Bernie Sanders has sworn not to run as an independent. I need a good hook that will change his mind.

That's one reason I said it has to be novelized.

Naturally also because you can't use real names. So instead of "Bernie" he could be "Ernie." Completely different :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 7th, 2016 at 5:03:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Well, I don't want to put words in Beachbumbabs' mouth, but his real estate holdings aren't the problem with his business record.

Trump University was mostly a scam.

His vitamin business was mostly a scam.

Trump routinely hired undocumented illegal aliens to work on his business projects.

And then there's Trump's abuse of imminent domain and disdain for private property rights both in the U.S. and Scotland.

He has had some ups and had some downs. He has not done like Hillary and been part of a professional begging organization that took loads of cash for influence. He seems to know how to fight back. And he refuses to play by the rules of our PC-whipped society.

For this, he has my vote. Had another candidate been able to figure out how to get the same energy he generates maybe I would give my vote to them.
The President is a fink.
April 7th, 2016 at 7:25:18 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
Kind of the exact same thing that if Obama was white he would not have gotten any of the free and positive coverage he got in 2008, eh?

So, there is something wrong with being a real estate developer? I'll take that over Hillary's influence peddling via paid speeches based on her husband's name any day.

Ummm...no. Not even close to the same thing. Obama was a post-racial candidate, and his support was not based on his being black, though many who DIDN'T support him did that because of it. Out of 31 demographic breakdowns done post-election, Obama won 25. (See roper at http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2008/ ) He won with men, women, independents, poor, all non-white groups, moderates, on and on. He lost whites, conservatives, a single middle-income bracket, eldest voter block, Republicans, and the South. That pretty much encompasses all the Trump strongholds. And Cruz supporters, as it happens. So that's a problem for him as well; splitting that vote.

He also has a laughable to execrable record for Evangelicals, while Hillary stood by her cheatin' man, goes to church every Sunday, married for life. They're going to stay home if it's him. Maybe even vote for her despite what their white male pastors tell them to do, especially the women. The angry white male demographic is just not going to sway the election by themselves.

I appreciated reno's list (above) of repugnant business practices, though there are more that can be added. What he mentioned should be more than enough warning signs about what he would bring to the Oval. Unless you're refusing to listen, of course.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 7th, 2016 at 8:14:01 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
He has had some ups and had some downs.

This is slightly off-topic, but I've got a serious question for you, AZDuffman.

Even when a voter is a devoted supporter of a particular candidate, it's unrealistic to expect that voter to agree with 100% of what that politician says or does. Nevertheless, there are certain sacred lines that the candidate just can't be crossed, certain positions are off limits.

So at the South Carolina debate in February 2016 when Trump accused the Bush administration of deliberately lying about WMDs in Iraq, why did so many Republicans give him a pass on that? (The full Trump quote is here.)

Trump's accusation about Bush seemed like a below-the-belt suckerpunch. And yet Hannity, Palin, Coulter, Christie, Limbaugh, Newt, Sessions, Carson-- none of those folks cared enough to defend Bush's honor. Why not?
April 8th, 2016 at 4:23:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs
Ummm...no. Not even close to the same thing. Obama was a post-racial candidate, and his support was not based on his being black, though many who DIDN'T support him did that because of it.

I am not saying he said "vote for me because I am black" (like Hillary says because she is a female). What I am saying is he received a huge deal of media push because he was black. The media was goo goo that a clean black candidate who did not use a negro dialect was running. To deny this is to deny reality. Unless you want to show me some other totally green first-term senators who got as good and as much coverage as Obama received.

The media desires any black success to cover. From black coaches and QBs in football to the hype of "first black (insert anything)"

I have not met one lifelong liberal who did not vote for Obama because he was black. He got more support because of his race than he lost because of it, probably by a factor of 2 or 3.

But back to Trump. Trump has captured the media same as Obama did in 2008, but it is because of his alpha-male personality. Because of his brand. But the beauty here is this time the media hates the guy's guts but they keep covering him. I love him for that reason alone.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 10<12345>Last »