Venn diagram

Page 1 of 3123>
May 21st, 2016 at 4:52:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Venn diagrams were conceived around 1880 by John Venn. They are used to teach elementary set theory, as well as illustrate simple set relationships in probability, logic, statistics, linguistics and computer science.

Wikipedia's example is the uppercase letters of the Greek, Latin, and Russian alphabet

Should we worry that the potential POTUS does not know simple mathematics.
May 21st, 2016 at 5:08:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Yea its a bit dumb. shrug. Incorrect usage of a Venn diagram. I would expect this kind of mistake from a campaign nerd.
Math heads and politics are kind of separate worlds.
worried, hardly. Mistakes happen
I doubt she actually creates these tweets, somebody on the campaign creates, shows it to her, she probably quickly signs off on it after a glance and its tweeted.
Its really minor when you look at many of Trumps absurd drive by tweet storms that are sometimes outright lies.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 21st, 2016 at 5:20:30 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I learned set theory, of sorts, and Venn diagrams in kindergarten.

Really.

I never saw or heard form either again until the first semester of college. The reasonable assumption is that something so simple you learn it before you even learn to write or to do arithmetic, has to be simple.

That turned more into an unwarranted assumption.

I've hated Venn diagrams since then.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 21st, 2016 at 5:25:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

She has shown she cannot use two emails or the secure fax machine. I will go along with it being a staff member that does not understand what they were designing, however.

BTW: Why was set-theory such a big deal in the early 1970s? In the lower grades math even we talked about sets of things, then rarely again after say 1980.
The President is a fink.
May 21st, 2016 at 6:49:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
BTW: Why was set-theory such a big deal in the early 1970s? In the lower grades math even we talked about sets of things, then rarely again after say 1980.

The International Congress on Mathematical Education was first held in 1969. As I taught mathematics (up through differential equations in 1979-1981, I was more up on the trends at the time.

For over 2000 years, it was believed that Math Education should cover some abstractions that were over and above the most mundane kinds of mathematics. for most of that time that took the form of Euclidian Geometry .

In the 1960's there was a lot of concern about getting some higher level mathematicians. The idea of set theory and abstract algebra (groups, and rings) and laws such as associative law and the commutative law.

I think being able to answer questions like "given that a 30 year mortgage @ 5% will cost you $536.82 /month for every $100,000 then why do you save almost 5 years by paying half the monthly payment ($268.41) every two weeks" are more practical than set theory.
May 21st, 2016 at 7:21:37 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Its campaign related, it is therefore an advocacy document. Its purpose is not 'the truth' its purpose is to deceive. Graphic distortions, Simpsons Paradox, biased surveys, etc. Anything is fair game. Heck, its a contest for access to power and billions in funds. What do you expect: precision, honesty, impartial representations.
May 22nd, 2016 at 3:47:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman

In the 1960's there was a lot of concern about getting some higher level mathematicians. The idea of set theory and abstract algebra (groups, and rings) and laws such as associative law and the commutative law.

I think being able to answer questions like "given that a 30 year mortgage @ 5% will cost you $536.82 /month for every $100,000 then why do you save almost 5 years by paying half the monthly payment ($268.41) every two weeks" are more practical than set theory.

When I was in the very low grades all the adults talked about "new math" I was learning. In high school we had a sub teacher in a small class of 6 or so people, computer programming in that wonderful but brief era when the teachers did not know what they were teaching and the students got away with any excuse. She such was babysitting more than teaching. She taught math at the community college so I asked her about the "new math" and told the story. She said, "that was 2 or 3 'new maths' ago!"

My niece is learning via Common Core and my sister is making her learn the old, right way of doing it. But she has to learn what they are trying to teach. It is no wonder we have a math problem in the USA. I told the story already about the trade school girls who could not even start to do 49/4.
The President is a fink.
May 22nd, 2016 at 8:38:16 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
I told the story already about the trade school girls who could not even start to do 49/4.

Heck, I can't either. But I know what 2 into 50 is and that 4 into 50 is half that though I'm not sure what half of 25 is? 12 and a half??

You want to generate interest in maths (note my "s".. it is supposed to show I know what I'm talking about) or what they now refer to as STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math), particularly at the High School and Junior High levels,,, heck, just play that TED Lecture on the Mathematics of Sex. Its interesting and she is a good lecturer and a hot broad.

New math? Yeah this common core stuff is absolute nonsense... and just giving the correct answer is not acceptable you must depict objects to show relationships among what you are counting.

A nation of politically correct ignoramuses. Ignorami?
May 22nd, 2016 at 8:58:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
Heck, I can't either. But I know what 2 into 50 is and that 4 into 50 is half that though I'm not sure what half of 25 is? 12 and a half??

Yeah, but you are way further than they were. A person of even average education, as it was in my day, would think out loud...."well, 4 goes into 49 once then......." and figure most of it out. Or maybe your way, or something. But they just stood there, did not even know how to start! I'm not talking about anything complex, simple arithmetic.

Quote:
New math? Yeah this common core stuff is absolute nonsense... and just giving the correct answer is not acceptable you must depict objects to show relationships among what you are counting.

A nation of politically correct ignoramuses. Ignorami?

There are shortcuts you can use in basic math. Drive my dad crazy when I figure out a tip by taking 10% of the bill then multiplying it by 1.5 or 2 to get the total. He wants paper to do the long division. In a sense, the way I figured to do it (I am not alone, many people figure a tip this way) is sort-of common core. But I learned to do it on my own that way because I learned all the relationships by doing it the right way. But take someone who does not know math and teach them that way and it is a disaster.

The USA regularly gets blown away in math education by most of the rest of the world. The USA is also a place where teachers cry that they are "teaching the test" or "it is all just memorization." So there is some need to "be creative." Math is much memorization, starting with your times tables. I tell people that it is impossible to learn division without memorizing those tables. I figure these girls never learned, probably born in the late 1990s when Mathland was the thing.

Quote: wikipedia
Mathland focuses on "attention to conceptual understanding, communication, reasoning and problem solving." Children meet in small groups and invent their own ways to add, subtract, multiply and divide, which spares young learners from "teacher-imposed rules." In the spirit of not chaining instruction to fixed content, MathLand does away with textbooks.[3] A textbook as well as other practice books were available to reinforce concepts taught in the lesson.

Really?
The President is a fink.
May 24th, 2016 at 9:10:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Heck, I can't either. But I know what 2 into 50 is 25 and that 4 into 50 is half that though I'm not sure what half of 25 is? 12 and a half??

That's a good start. So 50/4 is 12.5 so it follows that 49/4 is less than 50/4 by 1/4 or 12.25
Page 1 of 3123>