Grammar police

Page 3 of 4<1234>
May 24th, 2016 at 10:52:19 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Years to develop your preferences? Then you are agreeing it is a choice!

No straight gene. Straight is just a part of being born.

It took me years to develop pubic hair.

Under AZDuffman logic, I guess that was a choice too.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 24th, 2016 at 11:08:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: ams288
It took me years to develop pubic hair.

I wonder how babies decide to grow, and how and when do most people decide to stop growing. And if you find your adult height unsatisfactory, can you choose to grow some more?

Quote:
Under AZDuffman logic, I guess that was a choice too.

Under that kind of "logic," Aristotle and Ayn Rand spin in their graves so fast, they create a contradiction which makes seemingly sane people vote for Donald Trump.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 24th, 2016 at 12:37:05 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: terapined
Quote: ams288
It's funny. Whenever I hear an alleged straight person say "homosexuality is a choice" - I assume they are secretly gay.

I never chose to be gay.

So if they chose to be straight - that implies that they felt an attraction to the same sex, and chose not to swing that way. At the very least they must be bi...

We are born straight. If you leave the path it is your choice. Until a gay gene is discovered I am not changing my position.

If a gay gene is ever found the fun will begin when someone suggests an abortion restriction be placed for it.

??
Born straight?
It takes years to develop your sexual preferences
Babies and young children have no sexual desires.

Where does this born straight BS come from? Did conservatives discover a straight gene?

Years to develop your preferences? Then you are agreeing it is a choice!

No straight gene. Straight is just a part of being born.

Years to develop height is not a choice
If you don't develop height (little people) its still not a choice
Years to develop a sexual preferences is not a choice, its nature regardless of straight or gay
I'm really blown away you think being gay is a choice
Are you trolling us?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 24th, 2016 at 5:19:53 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Sexual orientation is not a choice, though concussions and drugs can affect it. Sexual behaviors are usually choices. Catholic priests supposedly choose to abstain, but its well known that alter boys often get molested and catholic school youth who show certain behaviours get taken on trips to visit priests. In Italy there are women who for three generations have taken care of the needs of priests. It is not particularly a secret; its just not talked about.

At latest count four separate areas of the brain affect sexual orientation ...

I don't think it should be such an issue, but until the early sixties, the UK put them in prison or in castration and hormone wards.
May 24th, 2016 at 7:05:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Years to develop height is not a choice
If you don't develop height (little people) its still not a choice
Years to develop a sexual preferences is not a choice, its nature regardless of straight or gay
I'm really blown away you think being gay is a choice
Are you trolling us?

Height happens no matter what. Sexual partners and behavior is an active choice. You must consent, except in the case of rape of course. What blows me away is your faulty analogies. Height and sexual preference are alike somehow?
The President is a fink.
May 24th, 2016 at 7:27:38 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Aussie
The idea that someone chooses to be gay (or heterosexual for that matter) is quite a laugh. Backward thinking nonsense. Can't say I ever recall choosing to have sex with women, it just came naturally. I'm sure gay people would tell you the same.

I used a weak analogy.
Aussie nailed it :-)
+1
I totally agree
Conservatives denying this is just absurd
Life is not black and white as conservatives prefer. The reality is all shades of the rainbow :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 25th, 2016 at 7:52:11 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Height happens no matter what. Sexual partners and behavior is an active choice.

So you don't know the difference between sexual orientation (which is not a choice) and sexual partners (which is a choice)?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 25th, 2016 at 8:21:13 AM permalink
Nareed
Conservatives denying this is just absurd

What's more absurd? A denial of proven facts? or the conviction that is sexual orientation, or for that matter gender identity, were a choice, this entitles some people to deny the equal rights of other people?

How would it differ from a choice between Christianity and Islam or Buddhism?

Quote:
Life is not black and white as conservatives prefer.

The way I see it, conservatives seem to think life ought to be gray. You know, dull, dreary and boring.
May 25th, 2016 at 11:07:11 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Years to develop your preferences? Then you are agreeing it is a choice! No straight gene. Straight is just a part of being born.

Quote: Psychology Today
First published in 1968, DSM-II (the American classifcation of mental disorders) listed homosexuality as a mental disorder. In this, the DSM followed in a long tradition in medicine and psychiatry, which in the 19th century appropriated homosexuality from the Church and, in an élan of enlightenment, transformed it from sin to mental disorder.
In 1973, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) asked all members attending its convention to vote on whether they believed homosexuality to be a mental disorder. 5,854 psychiatrists voted to remove homosexuality from the DSM, and 3,810 to retain it.
The APA then compromised, removing homosexuality from the DSM but replacing it, in effect, with "sexual orientation disturbance" for people "in conflict with" their sexual orientation. Not until 1987 did homosexuality completely fall out of the DSM.
Meanwhile, the World Health Organization (WHO) only removed homosexuality from its ICD classification with the publication of ICD-10 in 1992, although ICD-10 still carries the construct of "ego-dystonic sexual orientation". In this condition, the person is not in doubt about his or her sexual preference, but "wishes it were different because of associated psychological and behavioural disorders".

I think this argument has been decided by the professionals.

It's like arguing that shoe fetishism is a disorder. As S&C points out, almost all women are shoe fetishists.
May 25th, 2016 at 11:36:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
As S&C points out, almost all women are shoe fetishists.

Like most men are car, sports, and beer fetishists?
Page 3 of 4<1234>