The end of the phone number

June 13th, 2016 at 10:36:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2016/jan/10/end-of-the-phone-number-facebook-messenger

Internet Protocol (IP) Version 4 addresses are up to 12 digits, yet no one remembers an IP address. But we still use phone numbers. But it will still be a shocking change. In many cases I think we have grown accustomed to the anonymity. And John.Smith.78356 will still require memorization.

Could phone numbers really vanish in the next few months?
June 13th, 2016 at 11:05:19 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2016/jan/10/end-of-the-phone-number-facebook-messenger

Internet Protocol (IP) Version 4 addresses are up to 12 digits, yet no one remembers an IP address. But we still use phone numbers. But it will still be a shocking change. In many cases I think we have grown accustomed to the anonymity. And John.Smith.78356 will still require memorization.

Could phone numbers really vanish in the next few months?

I've used FB messenger
Its pretty neat
If somebody sends me a FB message, a notification pops up on my phone just like text message, missed calls and voicemail.
The nice thing is most have FB loaded on their phone
So easy to contact and FB friend without a phone number
Many website still use phone numbers to prove who you are by sending codes via text
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 13th, 2016 at 12:05:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I think the last phone number I memorized was the one for the office.

When I moved to my current apartment, I had to constantly look up my new number. even now, half the time I still do.

About 90% of the time when I add a number or my cell, or when I give a number to someone, we do so by sending the contact via WhatsApp.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 13th, 2016 at 12:43:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I can remember the number we had in
the 50's but I couldn't tell you my current
number for a million dollars. It never
comes up.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 13th, 2016 at 3:35:36 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Before phone numbers go away, land lines need to go away. Businesses rely on land lines too much for that to happen any time soon.

PERSONAL phone numbers are another story. I can see them being phased out, but over a much longer period than the next 7 months.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
June 13th, 2016 at 9:26:56 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Interesting thought. I suppose it isn't too much of a stretch to foresee the day when all phone calls are made over the Internet without the need for any phone lines at all. I know I use FaceTime and Skype quite regularly as well as other text/chat services. In a few months? No. A few years, probably. If I had to bet id say yes simply because it would be foolish to underestimate the progress of technology.
June 13th, 2016 at 10:06:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Aussie
Interesting thought. I suppose it isn't too much of a stretch to foresee the day when all phone calls are made over the Internet without the need for any phone lines at all..

I make all my calls free with Google Talk
for the last 5 years. When I think what I
was paying for long distance 20 years
ago. Now I call somebody 3000 miles away
for nothing. When the AF Major was in
Afghanistan, my wife would Skype with
him once a week. It still amazes me, this
technology.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 13th, 2016 at 11:22:12 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Aussie
Interesting thought. I suppose it isn't too much of a stretch to foresee the day when all phone calls are made over the Internet without the need for any phone lines at all.

My brother tells me that almost all phone calls end up going over VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) today anyway. It's just if you are using Goole Voice, Skype, Vonage, or Magic Jack you are aware of it on the portion of the system closest to yourself. Basically it is a huge cost saver over conventional technology. He told me that all phone numbers are actually treated as alphanumeric streams today, and they could just as easily spell out something.