No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (100%)

1 member has voted

June 23rd, 2016 at 1:50:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
If some holy scripture says something about the world, universe or human nature and science proves it wrong, which should you consider to be true?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 23rd, 2016 at 8:19:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Whichever you choose to believe.
June 23rd, 2016 at 9:01:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
If some holy scripture says something about the world, universe or human nature and science proves it wrong, which should you consider to be true?

I considered starting a thread titled, "Mormonism, the true religion." (just for fun)

What I've learned in defending religion, is that it is that you can justify almost anything with a little twist of meaning if you need to. If that doesn't work you can pretend that something is allegorical. If that doesn't work, then it's because as an unbeliever you fail to grasp the proper intent of the words. If all else fails god works in mysterious ways, and god is always right in the end, and anyone who says different is wrong.

With that technique I can win at anything.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 23rd, 2016 at 9:45:17 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed

First of all you have to be careful about asking too much of religion or science. Your question shows some confusion. Science and faith cannot truly contradict each other. In this way science checks religion from being false. Likewise science cannot speak to the philosophical notion of human nature. Religion is what we must use to get at the deeper meaning of who or why we are? Science can only answer what we are?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 23rd, 2016 at 9:49:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Really you should be able to choose both science and religion in your poll, because we need them both.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 23rd, 2016 at 10:06:25 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think it is mainly that we prefer to have an option and to differ between belief and practice.

Very little in science is proven. Some doctors advocate boxing, some doctors are rabid 'cut it off' types some are rabid 'only if you stand in the Nile and fish all day should it be cut, no one seems to be in the middle. Same thing with abortion, most risks for abortion are the same risks of giving birth. Its just that facts and experiments are irrelevant in certain topics.
June 24th, 2016 at 6:30:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Really you should be able to choose both science and religion in your poll, because we need them both.

Sure.

Show me how to make the Earth both flat and spherical, and how to make the Sun orbit the Earth while the Earth orbits the sun, and I'll make a new poll.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER