Worst line in Star Wars

July 7th, 2016 at 1:56:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Star Wars has been amply criticized for bad dialogue, with ample justification. Even with good delivery, some lines are really foolish, awkward or pretentious. The scene where Luke reveals to Leiah they're sister and brother, and that she's a Jedi (or could be), is painful to watch.

But the worst line, IMO, is Darth Vader's dying words. This is odd, because he usually has good lines. Not memorable ones, perhaps, but even when he sounds pretentious, he has reason for doing so (ie "This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Kenobi, and will soon see the end of the Rebellion.")

The line is "Tell your sister you were right about me."

Really?

Now, to be fair, it's not clear whether Vader knows Leiah is his daughter (though the MAD Magazine principle says he should: there were no other important female characters in the movie). I can argue as convincingly that he did or that he did not. But that's what he wants to be his dying message to his only daughter "Your brother was right about me"? How does that make sense?

Seeing as it was the last act in his redemption (and that's arguable, too, but let's not digress), consider an easy line that reveals nothing but fits better: "Tell your sister... I am sorry."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 7th, 2016 at 8:13:25 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I don't know Star Wars well enough to quote bad ones. Yoda had lots of good ones. One in particular, where Luke was trying to life his spacecraft out of the swamp, was:

Luke: I knew I couldn't do it.
Yoda: That is exactly why you failed.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 7th, 2016 at 10:11:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
July 7th, 2016 at 11:21:21 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Not specifically about bad lines but I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago where the bride & groom were both big Star Wars/sci-fi in general geeks. Each of the guests had a drink coaster at their place which was a little square tile with a different picture and quote from Star Wars. Thought it was quite a good idea for something that they both obviously enjoyed a lot and was something we all got to take home to remember the day.

Note: mine was "there is a great disturbance in the force" - emperor palpatine/darth sidious
July 8th, 2016 at 6:32:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Yoda had lots of good ones.

What movie did you see??

Quote:
One in particular, where Luke was trying to life his spacecraft out of the swamp, was:

Luke: I knew I couldn't do it.
Yoda: That is exactly why you failed.

Not quite.

Luke attempts to pull he X-Wing off the swamp and can't. Yoda then moves it out and puts it back on land, easy as you please. Then:

Luke: I can't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.

Not a bad line per se, but silly:

Kenobi: "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are this accurate."

When has a Stormtrooper ever hit anything? :)

(Related joke: A Stormtrooper squad fires at a bunch of Red Shirts. They all miss, but the Red Shirts all die anyway.)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 9th, 2016 at 12:51:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
(Related joke: A Stormtrooper squad fires at a bunch of Red Shirts. They all miss, but the Red Shirts all die anyway.)