GOP Convention

July 30th, 2016 at 11:29:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
How has the life of someone on the bottom changed for the better?

Exactly. Jeff Bezos fortune went up one
day this week by 3 billion in one day.
Does that mean some people somewhere
lost 3 billion? Hardly. People do not
understand where wealth comes from.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 30th, 2016 at 1:07:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
None of this answers the question. Would you rather live in say Haiti where there is less disparity? Your examples don't explain how these same folks would be better off if all of the sudden the rip quintile just lost half their wealth. Some rich guy all of the sudden is worth $1 million instead of $2 million. How has the life of someone on the bottom changed for the better?

That's not how inequality is looked at. We're looking at where the wealth is being funneled most of the time as it's being made.

And Haiti has more problems than economic inequality. So you can't just pin it on that.

EDIT, rather you can't pin Haiti's problems on its lower inequalities as it has many problems.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 30th, 2016 at 1:42:25 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
"We're looking at where the wealth is being funneled most of the time as it's being made." Could you please explain this statement vis a vis inequality. Also your statement "That's not how inequality is looked at." Looked at by whom?
July 30th, 2016 at 1:51:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: pew
"We're looking at where the wealth is being funneled most of the time as it's being made." Could you please explain this statement vis a vis inequality. Also your statement "That's not how inequality is looked at." Looked at by whom?

http://inequality.org/income-inequality/

Whom? You guys haven't said who you are speaking for either. Who are you speaking for?

Anyway,

Quote:
Income includes the revenue streams from wages, salaries, interest on a savings account, dividends from shares of stock, rent, and profits from selling something for more than you paid for it. Income inequality refers to the extent to which income is distributed in an uneven manner among a population. In the United States, income inequality, or the gap between the rich and everyone else, has been growing markedly, by every major statistical measure, for some 30 years.

IMO, wealth disparity is the general result of income inequality. So, they are related. What's the problem?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 30th, 2016 at 2:02:11 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: rxwine
http://inequality.org/income-inequality/

Whom? You guys haven't said who you are speaking for either. Who are you speaking for?

Anyway,

IMO, wealth disparity is the general result of income inequality. So, they are related. What's the problem?
I agree there is no problem with wealth disparity. Income is a different subject. I speak for myself.
July 30th, 2016 at 9:53:25 PM permalink
rxwine
From today's news:

Quote:
The chief executive of Koch Industries, who is worth an estimated $44 billion, described an “increasingly stagnant, two-tiered society, with the rich and politically connected doing well, and most everybody else stuck down below.”

“No wonder that people have by and large lost their optimism,” he said, adding that the answers provided by politicians are “frightening.”

Does Charles Koch feel that we need to make the income disparity or wealth disparity wider? Won't it happen with supply side economics? You tell me?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/07/30/charles-koch-warns-politicians-are-offering-frightening-answers-to-improve-society/
July 30th, 2016 at 10:20:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
That's not how inequality is looked at. We're looking at where the wealth is being funneled most of the time as it's being made.

Wealth gets funneled to the people who invented and risked to create it. And there is nothing wrong with that. I don't get what you are trying to imply.
The President is a fink.
July 30th, 2016 at 10:59:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Look at Trump. He talks all time about buying
a property and selling it a couple years later
for millions more than he paid. He created
wealth. Who did he step on, who did he
impoverish. People who talk about wealth
creators usually are ignorant of how it
really works. They see a winner and assume
he left a trail of broken people behind him.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 31st, 2016 at 12:04:39 AM permalink
rxwine
Wealth gets funneled to the people who invented and risked to create it. And there is nothing wrong with that. I don't get what you are trying to imply.

I already stated my case why income inequality is bad for the bottom percentage of people. Go up and read it again. It has to do with the distribution of income, not losing a million dollars.

If you think there is nothing wrong with the effects of income inequality on the lowest wage earners, then I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Wage earners at the bottom should make more proportionally, before it goes to top wage earners for one thing. I'd rather see it corrected voluntarily that way than using other methods to fix it.

~
July 31st, 2016 at 5:20:36 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Is John Miller (aka Trump) weird
The outright les are comical
Looks like he going to drop out of the debates
Hardly surprising, Mr fake alpha male doesn't have the cajones to debate Clinton
The excuse
The NFL sent him a letter complaining about the debate schedule so he claims
The NFL came out and said they never sent a letter to Trump
Why just outright lie about it
Is he trying to lose?
What a clown

And this regarding Mr Khan the Gold star Dad
John Miller (aka Trump) said
"has no right to stand in front of millions of people and claim I have never read the Constitution, and say many other inaccurate things."
WTF
We live in America, Mr Khan has the right to freedom of speech
Especially since He's a Gold star Dad.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"