Les Miserables

Page 2 of 2<12
January 4th, 2013 at 11:38:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
I think they call it "Opera", and many folks consider it "high art".

I've never seen an opera, or listened to one, but I think there's no spoken dialogue. It's all sung.

Quote:
Can you imagine Alfred Hitchcock's, "Psycho" without music?

I've never seen a Hitchcock movie, either. But, sure, all movies make use of music, some even effectively.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 4th, 2013 at 11:43:26 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think tastes, like enjoying musicals is somewhat a formation in your youth, and perhaps genetics. {why people are tone deaf and others have perfect pitch)

The absence of country music in my youth pretty much left me oblivious to it, even when it was playing.. After years of on and off exposure, I can warm up to some of it.

Has Nareed ever talked to someone about a favorite subject and received an expression from the listener that whatever she is talking about is the dullest subject ever? Yeah, like that.

We're not cut out to enjoy all things that others enjoy.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 4th, 2013 at 11:53:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
I've never seen an opera, or listened to one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aKAH_t0aXA

Just like being there, (sorta) ; )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 5th, 2013 at 1:45:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I've never seen an opera, or listened to one, but I think there's no spoken dialogue. It's all sung.

The passages that are intermediate between speech and singing are called recitative. The word was taken directly from Italian unchanged into English about 400 years ago.
February 15th, 2013 at 7:56:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: s2dbaker
The Gladiator can't sing. "Stars" was ruined.
The Thénardiers were not the comic relief that they are supposed to be.
Anybody who dies while singing swallows their dying line so that it's incomprehensible.

Some WAG made this video, in case there was any doubt about "Stars"

The Thénardiers were just uncomfortably grotesque.

But there are some extremely powerful voices. Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway among the movie stars, and virtually all of the stage performers playing Eponine, Marius, Enroljas, Gavroche, the Bishop (the creator of Javert role)

Of the movie stars quick summary
Hugh Jackman ... Jean Valjean (Can sing: Not at the level of the great stage actors but very beautiful)
Anne Hathaway ... Fantine (Can sing: Not at the level of the great stage actors but just as dramatically )
Russell Crowe ... Javert (Can't sing. More of a beautiful spoken word)
Amanda Seyfried ... Cosette (Can sing but only in a thin voice)
Sacha Baron Cohen ... Thénardier(Can't sing but doesn't really try)
Helena Bonham Carter ... Madame Thénardier(Doesn't really try to sing)
Page 2 of 2<12