Garden Variety Flip Phone for people who just talk on their phones

Page 1 of 212>
August 28th, 2016 at 4:17:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Verizon is about to go to High Definition Voice, or VoLTE to be more technical. The plan is to phase out second generation voice networks in 5 years.

Normally, my parents could care less about advancements in phones, as they hate everything about them. But they might be interested in better voice as they are very hard of hearing.

But what about the old reliable flip phone, which can be purchased for as little as $5 at Home Depot.

Many older people don't like talking into a miniature tablet.

Asia has a 4th generation flip phone for $267, but I've never seen one in the USA.

I realize the technology is not going to permit a $5 LTE phone anytime soon, but what about a $50-$100 flip phone that supports High Definition Voice?
August 28th, 2016 at 5:37:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

Normally, my parents could care less about advancements in phones, as they hate everything about them.

I know a lot about tech, I have three
types of computers and spend a lot
of time on them. But like your parents,
I hate phone tech. I will never have a
smart phone if I can help it, I consider
it an invasion of privacy. My wife got
her first one in May and was very excited.
Not she wants her old flip phone back.
She says the new phone is way too 'needy'
and she's sick of screwing with it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 28th, 2016 at 5:55:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
But like your parents, I hate phone tech..

I have one of those retro handsets for my desk. As long as you are not carrying your phone around, they are the most comfortable shape.

For your landline it is nice to see who is calling. They make these so called "retro phones" for $70 where you can see who is calling. But you will notice they don't really have old fashioned shape that is designed to be very comfortable and very private.

I tried to buy a cordless phone with a proper handset, but with a readout to see who is calling. Do you know I can't find one anywhere?
August 28th, 2016 at 6:03:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Why do you have a land line. I got
rid of mine in 96 and have never
missed it once. I use Google Talk
for all my calls, free in the US and
Canada, and the quality is flawless.
I have two people I Skype with every
week. Flawless.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 28th, 2016 at 6:37:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I use Google Talk for all my calls

I do as well, but I was shopping for my parents who will not part with their landline until they die. To be fair, the house is concrete, plaster and steel, and cellular doesn't carry through much of the house. They don't like to carry cell phones with them. I will also hear the story about my aunt who tripped and fell on the basement steps, shattered her cell phone when it flew out of her pocket and twisted her ankle, and had to crawl to a landline phone.
August 28th, 2016 at 6:54:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
shattered her cell phone when it flew out of her pocket and twisted her ankle, and had to crawl to a landline phone.

It's not the phones fault she had it
in her pocket. But of course the
point is, she'd still be down there
if the land line had been gone.
The better story is make sure the
phone is secure wherever you go.
Then they would say no coverage
in the basement, you can't win.
August 28th, 2016 at 7:14:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
you can't win.

It's like my friend who pays $130 a month for a landline and DSL (<3 Mbps). She says that she needs a landline because it is more secure than cell coverage. I said that plain old telephone service works when the power goes down, but it isn't magic. The phone company has giant rooms full of batteries. Just get backup battery coverage for your cell phone. For that monthly price you can afford to keep a closet full of batteries, and all the electricity to keep them charged. Verizon is trying to get rid of their landline customers so they can go to the government and say the system is obsolete and they would like permission to close it down.

At least with my parents, the cable company charges $80 a month for television & 50 Mbps internet. They charge $100 a month for television & 50 Mbps internet & phone. As I would have to up their cell plan by $25 a month to handle the extra time if they didn't have a landline, there is little or no cost savings. They did get rid of Verizon landline in 2004.

I understand that COMCAST often makes service without a phone more expensive than service with a phone. They simply hope that people will use the phone and give out the number, as it makes them less likely to jump ship at the first price increase.
August 28th, 2016 at 7:30:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Do they really get 50mpbs? My Comcast line
tests at 18 and it's super fast. If they get
a true 50 that's a very good price. I looked
it up and average for PA is 11.
August 28th, 2016 at 10:31:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Do they really get 50mpbs?

http://www.speedtest.net/
ping 22 ms; download= 55.28 Mbps; upload=9.64 Mbps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCN_Corporation
August 28th, 2016 at 10:58:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
http://www.speedtest.net/
ping 22 ms; download= 55.28 Mbps; upload=9.64 Mbps

Yet the average speed for PA is 11.3mpbs.
Page 1 of 212>