10yrs anniversary of GOL flight 1907

Page 1 of 212>
October 3rd, 2016 at 8:50:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

An Embraer business plane with 2 pilots and 5 passengers collided with a B737. The Embraer lost part of a wing and a tail, but landed at a military airfield one hundred miles away without any injuries.
The B737 had it's wing sheared off and crashed in the jungle with all lives lost.

The pilots of the business jet knew they hit something, but never saw what it was, until after they were debriefed. Brazil said it was partly the pilots fault, while the NTSB said the pilots were not responsible.

For a period of 15 minutes the pilots tried to contact the controllers 12 times, but radio contact could not be made.

The Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) system had not activated or alerted its respective crew, nor did any crew see the oncoming traffic visually or initiate any evasive action prior to the collision. While both planes were equipped with TCAS, it was later determined that the Embraer's transponder had ceased operating almost an hour earlier, at 16:02, rendering both planes unable to automatically detect each other.

Quote: excerpt from transcript

The transcript is based on two hours of recordings, beginning after takeoff and concluding after the plane makes an emergency landing at a Brazilian air force base. It begins at 18:37:12 local time with the crew discussing fuel loading and how it affects the plane's handling. They discuss difficulty understanding the controllers: "They are speaking English, but it's tough," one pilot says. Most of the dialogue - more fully detailed in the new transcript - concerns fuel consumption, the weather and the layout at the Manaus airport.

At 19:40:13, the plane tries to reach the Brasília controllers for the first of 12 times. There is a response from a controller, but the communication is broken up. At 19:55:47, a pilot says, "I got radio problem here."

Then at 19:56:54 comes the sound of the impact, which ripped off the tip of one of the Legacy's wings. A pilot says, "What the hell was that?" The other pilot responds, "All right, just fly the airplane, dude ..."

A pilot says, "Do we have a wing tip?" Another voice responds, "No."

At 20:20:05, as the Legacy approached the runway at an air force base, one pilot said, "We hit something, man. We hit another airplane. I don't know where the -- it came from." The other pilot responded, "I never saw it, dude."

Two seconds later comes the sound of the aircraft touching down. When one pilot says, "Good job, good job ..." his colleague responds, "We're alive ..." Then there is laughter and the sound of the passengers in the cabin clapping.
October 4th, 2016 at 7:16:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think you meant TCAS had NOT alerted....

You might mention the civil and criminal aftermath of this.. as I think the crew was detained and charged.
October 4th, 2016 at 7:41:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
The pilots of the business jet knew they hit something, but never saw what it was, until after they were debriefed. Brazil said it was partly the pilots fault, while the NTSB said the pilots were not responsible.

From what I know about this accident, the pilots of the Legacy failed to notice their transponder was off, and that the TCAS was off as well.

I'm not saying they're to blame. Like most accidents, there were multiple failures involved, from the manufacturer to ATC. The pilots were just one factor.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 4th, 2016 at 9:02:41 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
From what I know about this accident, the pilots of the Legacy failed to notice their transponder was off, and that the TCAS was off as well.

I think it was not a case of failing to turn something on, but they did not notice it was off. That was the basis for the courts in Brazil charging them.

A judge in the state of Mato Grosso, where the accident took place, originally gave the pilots prison sentences. But they were commuted to community service to be completed in the United States. Relatives of the crash victims protested and Brazilian prosecutors appealed the sentence reductions, seeking a prison sentence and suspension of the pilots' licenses to fly.
October 4th, 2016 at 9:56:18 AM permalink
Nareed
I think it was not a case of failing to turn something on, but they did not notice it was off. That was the basis for the courts in Brazil charging them.

It wasn't very noticeable. Coupled with the trouble contacting ATC and the usual workload, that's why I assign responsibility to the manufacturer as well.

In any case, most aircraft accidents shouldn't involve criminal charges, unless there is malicious intent or deliberate neglect involved.
October 4th, 2016 at 11:01:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
In any case, most aircraft accidents shouldn't involve criminal charges, unless there is malicious intent or deliberate neglect involved.
Tell that to Greece, Yugoslavia, Germany, Russia, Argentina and Brazil. I've not double checked but I think each of these countries routinely consider bringing charges of a criminal neglect against controllers. In France any incident that involves fifteen or more fatalities automatically results in an Investigative Magistrate giving a formal warning of criminal charges to the defendant which immediately limits his travel abilities. Yugoslavia once jailed a controller for performing a last minute desperate shout in his native language instead of in English. Brazil has moved criminally against controllers in other incidents. However, I do not recall what happened to the pilots in the Soccer Match flight wherein the flight crew flew directly into the sun for hours while listening to a soccer match and teh stewardess refused to convey any message to the flight crew from passengers who knew the plane should be heading slightly east of due North.
October 4th, 2016 at 1:26:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
It wasn't very noticeable. Coupled with the trouble contacting ATC and the usual workload, that's why I assign responsibility to the manufacturer as well.

The recording (salty language) of the two business jet pilots is about 40 minutes long with the accident occurring between 3 and 4 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8Q3qF3IzQ

They really had no idea what had happened. Naturally they suspected they had hit another airplane but they had no real confirmation. They are going crazy because they can't radio the tower. A few minutes after the accident one pilot ask specifically if the TCAS is on, and the other one says "yes the TCAS is on". So they had no idea that the TCAS transponder was not working.

The robot voices are very loud and annoying at times. So if they were getting a robot voice telling them the TCAS had failed it would have been obvious.

They landed at an Air Force airport SBCC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cachimbo_Airport

The great circle paths didn't seem that close, so I am surprised the planes hit each other.

The business jet was headed north west, while the B737 was headed south east.

SBCC or Cachimbo Airport is in the middle of nowhere and is all military. The business jet flew 140 miles from the accident to this airport to make an emergency landing.
October 4th, 2016 at 1:46:47 PM permalink
Nareed
A few minutes after the accident one pilot ask specifically if the TCAS is on, and the other one says "yes the TCAS is on". So they had no idea that the TCAS transponder was not working.

Yes, but a mistake like that after a crash when you're frantic and trying to keep the plane from going down, is hardly the time to notice small details in the display if they're not life or death. The pilot saying "yes, it's on," most likely remembered turning it on or checking it much earlier in the flight.

Quote:
The robot voices are very loud and annoying at times. So if they were getting a robot voice telling them the TCAS had failed it would have been obvious.

I think there's a problem with audio alerts as it is. Mind you, there are no studies about it that I know, but the AF flight that crashed in the Atlantic did have a very loud voice warning "STALL! STALL!", and the crew still failed to recognize the problem they were having (right up until near the end when the captain finally realized they'd stalled).

The explanation is that Airbus pilots seem to believe their planes cannot stall due to the safeguards in the flight management system. I'd buy that. I've seen a number of cockpit videos of planes landing at difficult and unusual airports. In some located amid mountains, there are many "TERRAIN!" warnings the pilots rightly ignore (if they know the route and the topography), otherwise they'd be messing up the approach every few minutes.

Maybe pilots don't listen to them as much as they should. Something similar happens with Waze when it suggests odd directions. I often don't pay attention, but I judge I'm justified only perhaps half the time.
October 4th, 2016 at 3:07:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I think there's a problem with audio alerts as it is.

Well the TCAS should have been a very last resort system. The fact that the air traffic control put them at the same altitude on the same flight path in opposite directions in an area with low visibility is the serious problem. The planes were respectively 85 minutes (B737) and 129 minutes (Embraer business jet) from takeoff, so they had been on those flight paths for a reasonably long time, and no alarm bell went off at air traffic control.

The fact that the transponder in the TCAS was out was not even discovered until the post mortem.
October 4th, 2016 at 3:30:00 PM permalink
Nareed
The fact that the transponder in the TCAS was out was not even discovered until the post mortem.

I know TCAS relies on transponder data, and I think I can justify why. The problem is that it goes offline if the transponder stops working. It would be better if it kept working.

Now, the GOL 737 would not have known or been warned the Legacy was there, but the Legacy could still be warned about the airliner. How effective the system would be, I've no idea. Typically TCAS has both planes maneuver for maximum separation. One dives and the other ascends, most times.

Last resort or not, it's very serious. Mid-air collisions were few even before TCAS, but the thing is you never know when one can happen.
Page 1 of 212>