Which of these statements do you agree with?

Page 2 of 3<123>
Poll
1 vote (7.69%)
2 votes (15.38%)
1 vote (7.69%)
4 votes (30.76%)
1 vote (7.69%)
1 vote (7.69%)
1 vote (7.69%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (15.38%)
No votes (0%)

13 members have voted

November 6th, 2016 at 5:12:29 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Yes, a quick Google search turns up Vegemite spread at cost plus world market.

Not sure how widespread those are, but there is one near me.

Looks like you can get it at Walmart, too.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 6th, 2016 at 7:09:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Aussie
How could you NOT like Vegemite??

Mixed in with plenty of butter (maybe 1 part butter 2 parts Vegemite) on toast or a sandwich - can't be beaten!

You have got to be s**tting me! Vegemite and its twin Marmite taste like concentrated baby poop. Yes, butter might be like a "spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down," as Mary Poppins might say, but it is still what it is.

It is not easily available in the US because we eat what tastes good. That is why 90% of us are obese.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 6th, 2016 at 8:29:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
Haven't seen "Game of Thrones" though I hear there is a lot of nudity in it.......

I think they put little black rectangles on the screen.
November 6th, 2016 at 8:43:39 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
You have got to be s**tting me! Vegemite and its twin Marmite taste like concentrated baby poop. Yes, butter might be like a "spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down," as Mary Poppins might say, but it is still what it is.

It is not easily available in the US because we eat what tastes good. That is why 90% of us are obese.

I won't ask how you know what concentrated baby poop tastes like but will just say you are missing out. Granted it's probably an acquired taste.
November 7th, 2016 at 12:00:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You have got to be s**tting me! Vegemite and its twin Marmite taste like concentrated baby poop. .

It has a very salty yeasty taste, I spit it out. It's
like chewing on a handful of salt tablets. It
reminds me of another disgusting 'food',
Spam. The Hawaiians love it, they have a
hundred ways of using it. When I lived
there the stuff was everywhere. It's so
salty it overpowers everything they put it
in. Like Vegemite it's an acquired taste.

Vegemite is so awful I think the Aussies are
having a joke on us. C'mon, admit it. You
hate it too. One review I read said he'd rather
lick his cats ass than be forced to eat Vegemite.
I second that..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 7th, 2016 at 12:00:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

Not exactly.

Here's a useful exercise: next time you buy or eat something from a package, look up the portion size and the sugar content. In particular look up the added sugar content, if available.

By packaged foods I meant things like sauces, yogurt, peanut butter, soda, milk, etc.

Mexican packaged foods are rather similar to what you find in the US. Many are made by US companies, much of the rest is copied from such.

Today I saw a 125 gr. yogurt which had 12.9 gr. of added sugar. That means over 10% of what you eat is sugar. The regular restaurant sugar packet is 5 gr. This yogurt is about 1/2 of a regular coffee mug, and has 2.58 sugar packets in it. A Greek type yogurt, plain, of the same brand had 5.5 gr. added sugar per 125 gr. portion. That's saner, but still a bit high to my taste.

IMO, that's one of the main causes of obesity in both America and Mexico.

Regular soda is really sugar water with flavoring. If you opt for things like fruit juice instead, you'll find that most options are made from frozen concentrated fruit juice, plus water and sugar. This is so, even though many kinds of fruit juices are already high in "natural" sugars. For instance, apple juice is tasty sugar water.

Many carbohydrates qualify as sugars, not all of them are sweet. So you do need some sugar in your diet, but not nearly so much as you find in packaged foods. Most of it simply turns into fat after it's digested.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 7th, 2016 at 4:37:22 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Aussie
I won't ask how you know what concentrated baby poop tastes like

Touche!

Quote:
...but will just say you are missing out. Granted it's probably an acquired taste.

I tried Marmite on a trek in New Zealand. I put a ton of it on a piece of toast, as if it were jam. The table got quite a laugh when I took a huge bite.

After everybody settled down a nice man from Perth made for the me the perfect piece of Marmite toast. He did it like you said, with butter and just a very thin layer of Marmite. I had to admit, it was tolerable, at best.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 7th, 2016 at 6:12:10 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I like my Kirby G5. It sounds like a jet engine in your house. It has a drive function that helps it roll forward and reverse, so it is actually quite easy to use.

If I had stairs, it would be a different story. The thing is a beast to carry, but it is built to last, and it sucks... in a good way.

My vote in the poll was registered, but as previously mentioned, only one radio button could be selected at a time, so multiple votes were out.
November 7th, 2016 at 7:50:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I had to admit, it was tolerable, at best.

Marmite and Vegemite are concentrated
yeast extract with a ton of salt added to
kill the yeast, then it's cooked to a gooey
consistency. High in vitamin B, it's good
for preventing certain diseases and has
been used as such. There are just as
many that hate it as love it in both
Australia and Britain. Obama hated it,
Steve Harvey said it tasted like pesticide.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 7th, 2016 at 10:25:34 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Marmite added to stews can add a certain richness to the flavour, which is almost certainly mostly due to the salt. I eat it occasionally, very thinly spread on toast. It's an interesting flavour for sure. The salt not only kills the yeast, it breaks open the cell walls to make that gloopy mess.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 2 of 3<123>