General science thread

November 12th, 2021 at 11:17:25 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
WTF
OMG
Sick sick sick
https://www.the-sun.com/news/4055022/russian-humanzee-human-ape-experiments/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 13th, 2021 at 9:27:02 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
That of course would never work, but cloning and genetic modification ... now that's another story.

We seem to have the tools to do it, but ethics so far prevents us from doing so.

But then again there is China...
November 13th, 2021 at 11:06:01 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
those unethical Russian Scientist stories have been around a long time
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 14th, 2021 at 3:16:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
evidently comparing one solar storm to another is best done by "orders of magnitude", same as earthquakes

Quote:
a research professor ... now believes that 1972 event was in the same class as the strongest solar storm on record, the Carrington Event of 1859.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/solar-storm-sets-off-mines?utm_medium=atlas-page&utm_source=facebook
November 23rd, 2021 at 7:42:14 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
It's not conclusive, but apparently makes women more aggressive; makes men less aggressive.

Quote:
The chemical hexadecanal, or HEX, is emitted from humans. It doesn't have an actual smell, but it's something most mammals can sense, according to researchers from the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel. When babies emit the chemical, researchers found, it triggers a reaction in women far different from what it does in men.

"It affects the way you behave toward others – specifically, your aggressive responses to others," lead researcher Eva Mishor of Weizmann’s brain sciences department said in a statement.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/an-odorless-chemical-in-babies-causes-women-to-be-aggressive-but-men-not-to-be-here-s-why/ar-AAR0I0k?ocid=msedgntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 28th, 2021 at 8:38:42 AM permalink
rxwine
A company called "Energy Vault" has built a working platform of gravity storage. To put it simply, excess energy is stored by stacking large stones in a symmetrical structure by crane. When energy sources aren't producing power, the cranes produce energy through lowering the blocks back to the lower position.

This is the same process used already used in some reservoirs when lots of water is available and excess energy is used to pump it uphill. But this can be used basically anywhere with a place to build a structure.

Supposedly they are building one in Louisiana.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 28th, 2021 at 8:57:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
A company called "Energy Vault" has built a working platform of gravity storage. To put it simply, excess energy is stored by stacking large stones in a symmetrical structure by crane. When energy sources aren't producing power, the cranes produce energy through lowering the blocks back to the lower position.

This sounds like some kind of bad joke. Stones? Really?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 28th, 2021 at 9:13:46 AM permalink
rxwine
Manmade. More like pyramid size.
December 21st, 2021 at 10:00:30 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
...according to Matthew Walker, the director of the Center for Human Sleep Science at the University of California, Berkeley, and the author of Why We Sleep, both the quantity and quality of our sleep changes as we age. “It seems to be particularly the deepest stage of sleep, something that we call non-rapid movement sleep or non-REM sleep and the very deepest stages of non-REM sleep,” he said on NPR’s Fresh Air. “Those are selectively eroded by the aging process. By the time you're in your 50s, you've perhaps lost almost 40 to 50 percent of that deep sleep that you were having, for example, when you were a teenager. By age 70, you may have lost almost 90 percent of that deep sleep.”
December 21st, 2021 at 10:56:14 AM permalink
odiousgambit
funny thing, I thought the REM sleep was the kind you needed