Upcoming 2017 films

Page 6 of 6« First<3456
July 25th, 2017 at 11:31:50 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Is it The Stand or the Strand?

I might favor the notion of vampires being hidden amongst the ordinary and not having any special powers of detection by friend or foe. Seems more sensible.

"The Stand" is a novel published by Stephen King 40 years ago

"The Strand" is a well known street in London, whose name has been used by many other cities in the world.

The adjective "apocalyptic" 1660s, "pertaining to the 'Revelation of St. John' in the New Testament," from Greek apokalyptikos, from apokalyptein "uncover, disclose, reveal" (see apocalypse). The original general sense was "prophetic" (1680s); meaning "pertaining to the imminent end of the world" is attested by 1864.

The Stand is known as an apocalyptic novel since most of humanity dies from plague.
July 26th, 2017 at 5:09:04 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: zippyboy
I've read the Stand a couple times, maybe time to read it again. Shame the TV miniseries was so bad, hiring popular actors-of-the-year instead of good actors IMO. Maybe in time Hollywood will re-do it in a movie franchise like Lord of the Rings.

Warner Bros. has been trying to adapt The Stand into a multi-film series for years now.

Ben Affleck was interesting in directing it, as was David Yates (director of several of the Harry Potter movies) at one point. But the project never seems to be able to get off the ground. It always ends up stuck in development hell, for some reason...

It appears that this September's adaptation of "IT" is poised to be a huge hit for Warner Bros. Maybe that will make them get serious about remaking The Stand.

Quote:
The Shining has been done a couple times, once with Kubrick and once a made for TV movie as I recall that was more true to the book (like the garden coming alive). Kubrick was such a gifted director, but I didn't like the ending of his version.

Stephen King doesn't like Kubrick's version of The Shining. He's been very vocal about that throughout the years.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 26th, 2017 at 6:03:12 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
Just watching the trailer makes me want to watch it again. Kubrick was such a perfectionist, except he did do things his own way..

He was a perfectionist
He would film scenes over and over and over
20 to 30 takes not unusual
Some actors got frustrated and complained why so many takes. Kubrick would simply look up from his camera and say, "how about better acting" and order another take. Just about all films were made near his house. He lived in the UK. A war about Viet Nam, he filmed in the UK, Full Metal Jacket.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 26th, 2017 at 7:15:33 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Some questions:

What is DT?

Probably The Dark Tower. The 2nd one was my favorite. If I read the 1st book first, I probably wouldn't have continued with the series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(series)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(2017_film)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/

Is it The Stand or the Strand?

The Stand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stand
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stand_(miniseries)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108941/
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 26th, 2017 at 7:18:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: ams288
Warner Bros. has been trying to adapt The Stand into a multi-film series for years now.

I think there were only half a dozen post apocalyptic films by major studios in the 1950's, now it seems like there must be six per year. Most had to do with alien invasions, with only "On the Beach" dealing realistically with the aftermath of a nuclear war.

I think the first plague movie was, The Andromeda Strain (1971) although the deadly organism is of extraterrestrial origin. I think the first film about a plague which was not extra terrestrial in origin was 1995 Outbreak.
July 26th, 2017 at 11:17:10 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I suspect many of the plots with "splitting atoms = end of the world" content were censored by the government in the 50's and 60's. Nuclear apocalypse films would not receive much support when the government is asking congress for millions to build ICBM's and mandating that school children practice shelter in place drills.

I think 1954's "Gojira" out of Japan was probably the first film to deal with the nuclear age negatively.
July 26th, 2017 at 8:27:12 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Paco, seeing all those movie posters....I read When Worlds Collide and After Worlds Collide when I was in 7th grade. Didn't know they were movies too. They were good books....ya know...when I was in 7th grade.
July 26th, 2017 at 11:08:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Paco, seeing all those movie posters....I read When Worlds Collide and After Worlds Collide when I was in 7th grade.

Those books are over 80 years old, so obviously you didn't read them when they first were published or you are in you mid 90s.
July 27th, 2017 at 2:22:17 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Paco, seeing all those movie posters....I read When Worlds Collide and After Worlds Collide when I was in 7th grade. Didn't know they were movies too. They were good books....ya know...when I was in 7th grade.
The golden age of science fiction is twelve.
Now is the golden age of comic books
September 8th, 2017 at 12:44:00 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
This might be good. They have captured Victorian
London very well and it has a great cast.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 6 of 6« First<3456