Super Bowl commercials, Uber, and Trump's already accelerating decline

February 5th, 2017 at 11:28:28 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
It was quite the surprise. The Super Bowl featured commercial after commercial that collectively, seemed to be rebukes against Donald Trump. First, a simple heartfelt call for tolerance and understanding from an advocacy group. Then, stories of girls and women who succeeded because they hadn't been told, or didn't believe, that they were inferior to men. The story of an immigrant who gets off the boat and has the 19th century equivalent of a Trumper scream in his face, "GO HOME!" Successful black individuals and families portrayed in several commercials. A car company advocating equal pay for equal work.

Now, I'm sure our resident Trumpers would a) say they didn't see that pattern at all or b) say that it just proves how biased the LIBURRUL media are (the game was actually broadcast by Fox Fake News Network). I see it as encouraging. Given how expensive Super Bowl ads are, a lot of companies spent a lot of money to send messages of tolerance and opposition to Trumper bigotry. It's not a coincidence that these ads prominently mentioned women, immigrants, and minorities.

In other news, Uber appears to have lost several hundred thousand customers due to a high-level company exec serving on Trump's advisory board. Other companies are feeling the pressure of boycotts, negative publicity, and loss of market share due to associations with Trump. It is beginning to look like being in bed with a psychotic orangutan may not be the wisest business strategy.

All this fills me with optimism. Trump's implosion was always a certainty, but I'm surprised at how quickly it's happening. LOTS of people absolutely HATE him--the majority of the people, in fact. And he's proved to be an incompetent stumblebum, with his hasty and badly planned moves. Even his own side is calling him an idiot. The Republiholes also don't like his bromance with Putin.

The most likely result now is that he flies into a rage and stomps out of the White House, maybe never to return. I don't think he can or will be forcibly removed, but all we really need to do now is sit back and watch as the protest crowds grow, the entire American business sector disavows him (or is disavowed by the public), and his own party throws him under the bus for fear of becoming about as relevant as the Green Grass Peyote Party.
February 6th, 2017 at 10:29:08 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Hey Stinky. Superbowl ads are commercials. Only purpose is to sell products. Do you think they give a shit about anything else ??????
February 6th, 2017 at 9:40:59 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: buzzardknot
Hey Stinky. Superbowl ads are commercials. Only purpose is to sell products. Do you think they give a shit about anything else ??????

My point, which I'll bother to explain to you, was that commercials try to get people to identify and engage with a brand. Political views are one of the ways people engage (or refuse to engage) with others. If a company embeds a political message in an ad, it is attempting to resonate with those potential customers who would be receptive to that message.

The messages embedded in the ads were of tolerance, racial equality, gender equality, and so forth--all those stinkin' liberal values. In other words, the ads were NOT aimed at Trumpers--aimed away from them, in fact. It is fascinating that these companies, at least, thought that the non-asshole portion of the public would be a more lucrative audience than Trumpers.

There might have been a commercial aimed at Trumpers, the theme of which was "kill all Mexicans" or maybe "keep the bitches in the kitchen," but I didn't see it.
February 7th, 2017 at 11:24:36 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Well, Stinky, nice to see that as usual you never let facts get in the way of your opinions. 84 Lumber's true goal was to endorse documented
immigration. But you interpret anything with the word immigration in it as being against Trump.